PDA

View Full Version : Need feedback on project ideas.

70 LS1
06-20-2007, 06:11 AM
How do you choose what car to start with?

I've been thinking of new ideas and new projects and can't decide what car to build. The three at the top of my list are 1968 Firebird, 1965 Riviera and 1963 Lincoln Continental.

The Firebird would be the easiest and cheapest as there are so many parts available. But they are much more common. I like to be different.

The Continental would have less all out performance due to the size and weight, but would be a fun project. Also the aftermarked just doesn't exist for them and parts are hard to come by.

The Riviera has the uniqueness I'm after, could have the performance, but again, the parts are hard to come by.

How do you choose?

Nine Ball
06-20-2007, 08:38 AM
I choose what I like. Certain cars are popular for a reason, because people like them more than others. I'm not into the whole "different is better so build something different" fad. Instead, I build what I enjoy and let others build/restore those unwanted weird cars with their own money. :)

I'll stick with the popular GM cars, they tend to do better on the selling market when I get bored and want something else to build.

jaybee
06-20-2007, 01:44 PM
I'll normally seek out the cars that aren't just like everything else when I'm at a show. My vote is for Riv, Firebird, Continental in that order, partly because enormous cars like Lincolns aren't my first choice.

csmnlm
06-20-2007, 06:48 PM
My best freind in high school had a 64 buick Riv with with a 425Ci Wildcat with 2-4 barrel carbs. Man we raised some he11 in that car. It would smoke the tires at will. I really like the looks of the Riv but I know parts were a problem to find 15 years ago so I'm sure its much worse now.

Mr.VENGEANCE
06-20-2007, 06:53 PM
go with the Rivera..

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2007/06/GeraldoRiveraJPG-1.jpg

believe me youll have a hard time with the Continental.. i had a 64.

novanutcase
06-20-2007, 09:40 PM
Before you even decide on a car you have to decide what you're gonna do with it!

If you're gonna rally race then any of the imports that are commonly used for this would be the choice unless you want to use a muscle car which would mean that you need to think about weight and size. How about a maverick or a comet?

John