PDA

View Full Version : 9'' question.....

SShep71
12-24-2004, 04:59 PM
I am gonna put a 9'' ford in my 70 chevelle, the 9" has a flange-flange measurement that is 2'' wider than the stock 10 bolt chevy. Is it worth it to shorten it that 2'' or should I work wheel offsets/backspacing around the rear.

-Shep

69 panel
12-24-2004, 06:17 PM
That to me is up to you and your preference of the appearance of your wheels. If you make up the difference with wheels with a different offset your wheels will have very little dish. If that doesn't matter to you then that would be the easiest and least expensive way to go. I like some dish in my wheels.

quadfather
12-25-2004, 08:39 AM
i would go the narrowed rear route , i also like the look of a little dish . besides once you get done welding new brackets on the 9" . you should have the housing checked for straitness , the welding will usually move the tubes around a little , and you"ll need to cut the ends off to re-align them , so just narrow it at that point. :icon996:

sporter
12-28-2004, 12:12 PM
You can also get housing ends from Moser that will allow you to use your GM brakes. My Moser 9" has these ends and also the GM 4.75 bolt pattern on the axles (but with 1/2" screw in studs).

Tom Welch
12-28-2004, 07:31 PM
Hey guys, I am planning to do a similar swap into a 67 firebird. Does anyone have measurements for a 9" rear from a 65 t-bird? I got one free, I just need to pull it from the body. Also, what is the deal with the Ford Explorer rear end?