PDA

View Full Version : Big Block To Small Block Frame And Motor Mounts?

toofun
06-18-2007, 04:10 PM
Ok,

Maybe I got some bad info or maybe I got another problem... I am changing from a BIG BLOCK to a small block.... I got a set of MOTOR mounts that are correct for a small block but when I drop the motor in, it does not line up. It will drop in fine on one side but the other side is too far away almost like I have to pull the motor over to get it to line up with the holes(which it cant) I read somewhere on this site that the FRAME mounts are the same for a big block and small block. Is this true? Or do I have another problem?? Anyone have a picture of the correct motor and frame mounts for a small block in a 69 camaro and a pic of the frame mounts installed on the frame?? Thanks in advance!! I have my motor hanging(literally) in the balance above the mounts currently....

Mark
TOOFUN

ahowudoin
06-18-2007, 06:57 PM
I have the opposite problem. I am going sml to big. The frame stands are different. My small block stands are too tall and yours are to short.Want to trade?

toofun
06-18-2007, 07:57 PM
Absolutely!! Do you have a contact number? Send it to me... You can reach me tommorrow on my cell phone at 978-479-8319. I can ship mine out tommorrow. When can you ship yours?

Mark
TOOFUN

MonzaRacer
06-18-2007, 08:04 PM
Gee someone just sold ya the wrong mounts. I mad a set of solid monts for my 70 MC and found I had made shorts instead of talls and just used 3/8 nuts to space it up as for changing mountsI would have just bolted on the BBC mounts the engines readily swap.
The big trick is the big block is 1 in wider, 1 in taller and 1 in longer than a SBC. Otherthan that they both bolt in most vehicles fine.
But never messed with older Camaro. Someone used to say that some car had to have different parts as the dist would be too close to fire wall but havent had issue yet.

toofun
06-18-2007, 08:14 PM
Monza racer.... so are you saying that you could just buy the big block motor mounts and it should fit?? Or are you saying to space up the frame bracket and then put in the big block motor mounts??

Mark
TOOFUN

Adam's 55 Chevy
06-18-2007, 08:41 PM
On a tri 5 you use the same engine mounts i.e. those that bolt to the engine. The frame mounts however are moved 3/4" forward to clear the firewall. This is the only difference. I have a set of small block mounts I have bolted in. When / if I ever swap in a big block I will bolt in frame mounts in exactly the same place but they will have the locating lugs 3/4" forward same as a small block with an HEI in a tri Chevy.

I find the best option is to bolt the engine mounts on then the frame mounts then gently drop the whole unit till it makes contact with the frame. Check everything is straight (then check again)! Tac the mounts to the frame and check alignment then fully weld after making any alterations that are needed.

Johnny Blaze
06-19-2007, 06:59 AM
On a first gen camaro, the mount s are different. BB mounts acutally put the driver side of the motor lower to help clear the master cylinder.

You need correct sbc mounts, which are avalible from just about every resto shop.

toofun
06-19-2007, 10:03 AM
On a first gen camaro, the mount s are different. BB mounts acutally put the driver side of the motor lower to help clear the master cylinder.

You need correct sbc mounts, which are avalible from just about every resto shop.

Which mounts are you talking about? The FRAME MOUNTS or MOTOR MOUNTS? or BOTH? Just trying to get a clarification cause there are still alot of people saying I can still use the frame mounts I already have...

Thanks
Mark
TOOFUN

hotrdblder
06-19-2007, 11:08 AM
engine side mounts are the same, frame side mounts are different, although i thought you could use sb mounts with a bb, i woul djust order bb frame mounts and call it a day

Johnny Blaze
06-23-2007, 07:28 AM
YEs, the frame mounts are different.