PDA

View Full Version : Supervictor to FI

SShep71
12-24-2004, 02:15 PM
Is the edelbrock super victor a good intake to convert to FI? Or is a high end dual plane the way to go?

-Shep

camcojb
12-24-2004, 02:18 PM
Is the edelbrock super victor a good intake to convert to FI? Or is a high end dual plane the way to go?

-Shep

I prefer single planes in EFI over dual-planes. I had a Super Victor converted by Force and it ran very well.

Jody

Fuelie Fan
12-25-2004, 10:29 AM
usually I agree with Jody, but i don't like that approach for most street motors. It's easier to convert than a dual-plane, and not as serious an error as running a way-too-huge cam, but too large an intake is still too large an intake, and you will have less low-end torque.

Remember this important fact: AIRFLOW determines horsepower potential. Both carbs and fuel injection serve the purpose of matching fuel flow to airflow. Since efi isn't constrained by the need for a signal to venturis like a carb, then it can do a better job with a big single plane than a carb.

I think some manifold companies are starting to wise up and making single planes with more reasonably sized ports specifically for EFI, and if you can find one of those then you'll be in good shape. Otherwise, a manifold designed for 3500-7000 RPM will not make the torque down low that a dual plane would.

You don't see people saying "I have EFI, now I can run 250cc heads on my 327" do you? Same thing: too big is too big.

camcojb
12-25-2004, 10:40 AM
I agree, this manifold may not be the best choice for many engines. I was speaking of single planes vs dual planes though, and I still prefer a single plane. Virtually every efi aftermarket manifold uses a single plane. The Victor/Super Victor may be a bit much but it worked very well on a 10:1 406 I had, but it had a serious camshaft and very good heads to go with it. It still made over 450 rwtq below 3800 rpm with a peak of about 460 rwtq.

Jody