PDA

View Full Version : Finished heads/cam/header swap on my LS6

streetk14
06-17-2007, 02:31 PM
Well, I finally got around to doing engine changes I had planned for my LS6 powered '67 Camaro. The motor was a nearly-stock '02 Z06 LS6, which ran very well for such a mellow combination. It was not enough for me and just sounded too tame.

Here are the changes I just made to the motor:

replaced LS6 heads with Partiot Performance stage 2 LQ9 heads (72cc chambers w/ 2.02/1.60 valves)

replaced LS6 cam with Comp XER 224/230, 114lsa, .581/.592

replaced S&P shorty headers with Stainless Works long tubes

These changes were made to compliment the MP122 Magnacharger that is on it's way to me. I decided to put the stock intake back on the motor and run it after doing the changes to make sure everything is ok. Everything seems fine, and the motor runs reasonably well considering that it ECM needs to be tuned for the changes.

It has open exhaust because of the header change, so I have not driven it much. Just around the block and an extended idle period in an empty parking lot down the street. I really like how the cam sounds :) .

Anyways, the headers fit and look great. I'll see if I can post a video clip of it running with open pipes. I need to get the car over to the exhaust shop this week to have some new pipes made to connect the headers to my X-pipe.

Just thought I'd share a few pics of the motor in it's current state. This will change in a few weeks when the polished Magnacharger is installed. I'll be sure to keep everyone updated when that happens.

BTW, I will be selling the LS6 heads/cam and S&P headers. These parts have about 12k miles on them and are in perfect working order. The heads and cam would be a great sleeper upgrade for a stock LS1. I'm not sure on pricing yet, but let me know if interested.

Andy

Motown 454
06-17-2007, 03:08 PM
I love the clean instalation and smooth firewall Nice work. Wayne

Smock67
06-18-2007, 04:57 PM
Looks real good

streetk14
06-18-2007, 05:22 PM
Thanks guys,

I just got it back from the exhaust shop right now, and it sounds great. I kept the same stainless 2.5" system that was on the car, but had some new pipes made to connect the new headers to the x-pipe. The entire exhaust system looks amazing now, and I really need to shoot some pics of it up in the air.

The cam, heads and new headers made this car sound the way it should. A little lope at idle and more aggressive sounding at every rpm experiened on the drive home. It ran great when cruising around, but it needs to be tuned before I can beat on it. I stepped on it once on my way home, and the power definitly wasn't there. I figured it's probably running lean from the changes and decided to keep my foot out of it for the rest of the drive home.

Andy

streetk14
06-20-2007, 04:55 PM
I had it up in the air at work yesterday and decided to shoot a couple pics of the exhuast.

Andy