PDA

View Full Version : Steering boxes and FORDS

Steve1968LS2
06-16-2007, 09:35 AM
The crappiest part of my Fairlane is the steering.. it's awful. The wheel floats between 10 o'clock and 2 o'clock to go straight.. it's really bad.

I can't find anyone that makes or can work over a Ford box to give a tighter close ratio feel.

Anyone?

Does Lee work on Ford stuff?

Same deal with getting a better power steering pump.. anyone?

Or should I just ditch it and go with manual steering?

I'm used to GM stuff where this is super easy. help.

kp.touring
06-16-2007, 01:14 PM
Steve,
Your Ford doesn't have power steering,it has that junk power assit system that uses a ram and control valve. You can replace or repair the control valve to make it a little better, but it still crap. The best option I have done for Fords is Total Control's Power rack. Your other option is to go manual, but that is no fun with wide tires and low speed. The power rack is what we used in Tate's 65 Fastback and Nick really dug it when he did the cones when PHR did the testing of his car.
Kevin

jaybee
06-18-2007, 08:18 AM
Ditto what kp said, I have never liked that system. It is, however, the same Bendix power assist setup that was used on Corvettes through 1982. Maybe someone with Corvette knowledge can help? Can you narrow down whether your free play is inside the box or at the p/s control valve? Could be either or both.

Steve1968LS2
06-18-2007, 02:29 PM
Yea, what I feared..

Hey kevin.. wanna do a story in installing a rack and pinion deal? lol

I will check out the vette angle.

kp.touring
06-18-2007, 06:54 PM
Steve,
If you can get C.A. to give the rack and you make the trek to No-Cal, lets do it!
Kevin