PDA

View Full Version : suspension upgrade for 72 comet gt

NastyCometGT
12-23-2004, 11:34 PM
I need some help with making my 72 mercury comet gt handle. I would like to be able to hang corners at 100+mph with it. My mother's boyfriend wrecked his maverick show car because it couldn't handle. Anyone got suggestions as to what I can do to make my car hang corners without replacing the subframes? If I should replace the subframes that's ok too because I'll take my time on the suspension upgrades then. I want my comet gt a convertible if that would help on what suspension I should use.I'm not rich by no means and I'm doing this on a budget so when I get the money something new will get done. I realistically would like it to corner great without spending alot of money to do so. ALso do I have to go with an irs to make it handle? Which is better and which is cheaper Irs or the regular rears?

David Pozzi
12-23-2004, 11:46 PM
Get in touch with some of your local Shelby Mustang vintage racers or open track guys. Lots of similar things can be done to your car I'm sure. I'd bet a 72 Mustang has lots in common with your car. There are lots of kits to improve the Mustangs and most of that stuff will probably transfer to your car.

You should stick with leaf springs but get stiffer front and rear springs for it along with stiffer anti-roll bars and good shocks. Stay away from slapper bars, airshocks, jacked up rear suspensions, anything that binds the suspension will cause trouble.

I'm leaving a lot out, but most of the stuff on my website that works on Camraros, works for Mustangs too.

Ralph LoGrasso
12-23-2004, 11:47 PM
I'm not familiar with the suspension design on a Comet, but I can tell you that you don't need an IRS to handle well. Straight axle rear suspensions(3-link, 4 bar, the list goes on and on) will handle incredibly well if set-up properly, better than an IRS in most cases. It's really a subjective arguement, though; it's all about preferance. For a budget suspension build, you should focus on stiff springs, good shocks (if possible -- adjustable), and a good set of sway bars. Also, if you're planning on taking corners at 100+ (hopefully on the track) please plan the proper safety equipment--a roll cage, 4pt or better harnesses, etc.

Good luck!

edit: David beat me to the punch. :)

LowBuckX
12-23-2004, 11:51 PM
What platform does the 72 Comet share with Ford. Ford equivelant

NastyCometGT
12-24-2004, 12:12 AM
The 72 comet gt uses the same platform as the ford maverick. Thanks that was quick on responding to my post.

LowBuckX
12-24-2004, 02:57 AM
The first thing you should be thinking about with your goals is definatly safety. And a covertable at 100MPH around a corner "IS NOT SAFE" When the Base car?chassis was not designed to be a convertable.

Your body is your chassis in a unibody car. And a caged convertable looks horrible too Unless you spend a ton of cash for a well built cage with a stylish hoop.

NastyCometGT
12-25-2004, 01:51 PM
:crying: I decided not to build a comet gt convertible after I looked at the lack of bracing this car has. I would have to put a full tube chassis in the car for it to be safe. Instead I'm thinking on building a blue or purple comet gt with a white vinyl top and custom white graphics. I'm gonna start with 350hp 302, c-4 auto, 8" rear since I have the parts to put one together.