PDA

View Full Version : Need turbo big block help please.

CamaroJesse
06-15-2007, 03:27 PM
im planning my winter project a little early. i have a 396 big block that im wanting to turbo. im going to redo the bottom end and put the compression around 8.5 or 9 to 1. i might have to go blow thru for a little while but might do that Hogans racing fuel injected manifold.
First off. Can my 67-69 casting big block 396 take the power of a turbo? and whats a good size turbo? I kinda wanna go with an 88 millimeter. im not sure what size to put on a big block. im just trying to build a wicked street car that makes ton of power on pump gas.

thanks
Jesse

67 caprice
06-16-2007, 04:35 AM
I was told that the early 396 blocks were cast with too little nickel. This would cause the block to be weak. This was told to me after I discoverd that my 67 396 block had a crack in the main webbing. That's why my 2nd motor was a 454

my72vette454
06-16-2007, 01:40 PM
I uesd a 454 block out of a mid 80's motor home. The guy at the machine shop seemed to think it was a sturdier block than a car application, he called it an industrial block??

MonzaRacer
06-17-2007, 08:48 PM
Mid 80s truck blocks are weaker thand 70s truck block.
As for the 396 it depends on your power wants.
First of all get it sonic checked and make sure the thrust side of the cylinders are thick enough.
Then price adding on a set of splayed caps to the bill and all the rest of your machine work.
After figuring up the price to prep the block you will figure that a new Merlin block and build a 427 instead.
I wouldnt push many factory blocks with that big a turbo.
Heck you should be able to source a used Merlin/Bowtie block if you look hard enough just know part/casting numbers and the max bore specs for the blocks.
The rotating assembly should come from Eagle, Ohio Crankshaft, etc. and listen to the piston companies, 2618 nitrous pistons will hold up better over other ones.
Spend cash on rotating assembly and heads.
you can prep a steel crank 396 with good rods and pistons and use it to "test fit and run" stuff but it wont hold up as well as beefier stuff.
Good luck and keep asking questions.
Lee

Adam's 55 Chevy
06-18-2007, 03:12 PM
By the time you have done all that. Paid lots of shipping then got it all machined up, got someone to build it and hope they have done it right.... You could have gone to Steve Schmidt, Scott Shafiroff or many others and had an engine built. A lot more initially but I bet pretty much the same by the time you turn the key to start it.

jdpepper
06-26-2007, 09:11 AM
http://www.dyno-flo.com/ for your short or long block

http://majesticturbodallas.com/specials1.html for your turbo

andrewb70
06-26-2007, 02:30 PM
im planning my winter project a little early. i have a 396 big block that im wanting to turbo. im going to redo the bottom end and put the compression around 8.5 or 9 to 1. i might have to go blow thru for a little while but might do that Hogans racing fuel injected manifold.
First off. Can my 67-69 casting big block 396 take the power of a turbo? and whats a good size turbo? I kinda wanna go with an 88 millimeter. im not sure what size to put on a big block. im just trying to build a wicked street car that makes ton of power on pump gas.

thanks
Jesse

Check out my big block in the classifieds:

https://www.pro-touring.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29591

Its ready for boost! 8.75:1 compression. Forged everything. Killer heads. Add a couple of T70 turbos and 1200HP will be as simple as falling off a log.

Andrew