PDA

View Full Version : Got my new wheels! Car caught fire!!!!

DJ Mabe
06-15-2007, 05:04 AM
Well where do I start. I got my new Budniks mounted up and I really didn't think they would fit. I put them on the car a couple of weeks ago and I loved it. The car looked great! I thought the car was hot! This morning I walk into my garage to find the car was hotter than I thought. It was on fire!!!! It looks like the wiring under the hood decided to burn all on it's own. I just picked up the car last night, drove it home and gave it a bath. Did absolutely nothing to the car other than drive it home and wash it. Man, I don't think I'm every going to get to enjoy this car. There are some positives. Nothing on the car is too bad other than some firewall burns, cowl area and hood need to be replaced. I can also be thankful that we were home to catch it and nothing else in the garage burned.

Just when you think you're done and ready to have fun! Don't get me wrong guys, I am thankful nothing else happened and that I still have something to work with but... I just want to enjoy my car. The bad thing is my Dad and I were going to take a little cruise today. This was originally his car (second owner) and it was the first time he was going to be able to ride in the car. I that this bothers me more than the damage. Enough crying over spilled milk. Tell me what you think. I have no idea why this started or where.

Sorry for jumping all over the place. My mind is racing a bit still.

ProTouring442
06-15-2007, 05:21 AM
Umm... what happened? How bad? Pics? :seizure:

Shiny Side Up!
Bill

mdprovee
06-15-2007, 06:28 AM
Sorry, that sucks!

GT500KR_Vert
06-15-2007, 07:19 AM
I'd replace the whole harness. it's a nice insurance policy.

novanutcase
06-15-2007, 07:38 AM
Definitely a short and, as GT500 suggested, replace the loom. Was the paint affected at all?

John

rockdogz
06-15-2007, 07:41 AM
Wow, that sucks.. wheels do look hot though! I agree it seems to have shorted out somewhere...

ironworks
06-15-2007, 07:44 AM
Do you have an amp meter in the dash? If so you may have a short in the alternator. The power lead that runs to the gauge will cook all the others, I have seen this happen on an old pontiac, It cooked every wire attached to the main wire running under the dash.

Always fusible link your alternator power wire.... KIDS.

Taylor1969
06-15-2007, 07:59 AM
make sure that you put a good rubber grommet in your firewall next time and wrap the wires really well. Looks like a short to me :(

DJ Mabe
06-15-2007, 10:35 AM
Always fusible link your alternator power wire.... KIDS.

This is my arguement with the shop that did the wiring. We think this was the wire that cooked all the others and it should have been connected the fuse panel but wasn't.

"make sure that you put a good rubber grommet in your firewall next time and wrap the wires really well. Looks like a short to me :("

Luckily I had good grommets on the car. All of the burnt wiring and damage is done on the outside of the car. Nothing made it past the grommet.

"Definitely a short and, as GT500 suggested, replace the loom. Was the paint affected at all?

John"

This was a new loom from Painless Wiring. That's the other surprising part of the entire ordeal. The paint is hurt under the hood and on the outside of the hood. It will have to be redone. the back firewall and cowl will both have to be repainted as well. Oh well!!

Taylor1969
06-15-2007, 11:11 AM
sweet car still though... the wheels, top and paint really work well together. Great job.

I have to see this one have issues. Just remember it could be worse - you could have been rearended just like Steve :|

Restomod
06-15-2007, 11:16 AM
It sucks but look at the bright side ...you got lucky!! It could have burned the car and the garage down and the house it they are attached!!

DJ Mabe
06-15-2007, 12:33 PM
I agree with you guys. The house is attached to the garage so it could have be much worse. Always look on the bright side of life right?

mustang6788
06-15-2007, 12:56 PM
That sucks about the fire. Good to see the car survived. Not to change the subject but how did you get the rear wheels to fit. I read a post by you with pictures and wondering if they would fit. 18x10 in the rear right? What size of tires did you end up using? Do they rub? Any pictures of the tire close ups.

dropit69
06-15-2007, 01:16 PM
dude that sucks..hope insurance is gonna cover it ..car looks killer thought:-)

Ralph LoGrasso
06-15-2007, 01:22 PM
Sorry to hear about the fire, but like everyone said, it could've been much worse. With the car in the attached garage, you could've theoretically lost the car, garage and house--so don't be too bummed over it. The wheels look great!

DJ Mabe
06-15-2007, 05:31 PM
That sucks about the fire. Good to see the car survived. Not to change the subject but how did you get the rear wheels to fit. I read a post by you with pictures and wondering if they would fit. 18x10 in the rear right? What size of tires did you end up using? Do they rub? Any pictures of the tire close ups.

They just barely fit. I would like them tucked under a bit more but at least they don't rub. The tires are 295's. I can stick my fingers on the inside of the fender lip and have someone bounce the car and it doesn't touch. I haven't thrown it into in corners so who knows.

This picture is a bit deceiving. The front and rears are the same size (height).

Taylor1969
06-16-2007, 04:28 AM
sweet car still though... the wheels, top and paint really work well together. Great job.

I have to see this one have issues. Just remember it could be worse - you could have been rearended just like Steve :|

I just realized that the statement should have read:

"I HATE to see this one have issues"

novanutcase
06-16-2007, 07:28 AM

LOL!!! You're such a "Meanyhead"!!!:rotfl:

DJ Mabe
06-17-2007, 03:36 AM

No worries, I got what you were saying. Car is back running and all the burnt wires replaced. Now I just have to get it scheduled to go into the body shop. Hopefully I'll only be down for a couple of weeks.

Restomod
06-17-2007, 04:17 PM
Did you find any clue as to the cause???

DJ Mabe
06-18-2007, 01:42 PM
Did you find any clue as to the cause???

No, and I really don't think I'll ever know for sure what happened. I'm guessing a couple of the wires got nicked somehow and just shorted out. The upholstery shop didn't put my console wiring on a fusible link so sizzle went the wiring. I have State Farm coming out on Wednesday to look at the car and give me an estimate. We'll see how that goes? Hopefully they'll take care of me. I'll let you guys know.

67SSDan
06-20-2007, 10:55 AM
That sucks dude! But these guys are right... at least your whole house didn't burn down... cause that would have sucked worse.

The car looks awesome though. Definitely something to be proud of (even with the burn marks).