PDA

View Full Version : How much camber gain is needed?

dartslantsix
06-14-2007, 11:14 AM
I'm designing an IRS for my 66 Dart.
I'm just wondering if there is a rule of thumb for camber gain. I'm modeling some of the geometry and trying to pick the best numbers. I think this may have to do with how much the body rolls in a corner, but I'm not really sure what that is for my car.
If it helps, here's the specs on the car:
66 Dart Slant six, 1 1/8" front sway bar, 340 T-bars.

Ripper
06-15-2007, 12:30 AM
What program are you modelling in? Or do you use paper?

Focus on keeping the RCmovement as little as possible. How much roll will you have? Race car or street car?

Try rolling the body 2º more than you're planning it to do (easier to see if the RC moves). When you adjusted everything so the RC doesn't move more than app. 1/2" per 5º or so, lower the chassis 3-4" and see what happens. Keep on adjusting the parameters so RC doesn't move too much. Do the same, but raise the chassis the same amount.

Camber gain is not the most important factor and it's usually limited by RCmovement. I have app. 0,6º/degree roll in my front end. Still waiting for the rear end parts to arrive so I can measure them.

Just so you don't misunderstand, gain means if you have 2º initial camber and rolls the car 1º with 0,6º camber gain - you'll have 1,4º camber on the outer wheel left...

Hope you found the information useful, feel free to ask if anything is unclear...