PDA

View Full Version : What is your favorite magazine

protouring70
12-23-2004, 06:47 PM
I don't know about any of you but I just like POPULAR HOT RODDING. Too me, they just don't cover the same thing eveybody else does.
And their articles show more.
Just my opinion.
Brent

zbugger
12-23-2004, 06:49 PM
Easily PHR. I buy most of the car mags, but I don't look forward to reading any like I do PHR.

Bill Howell
12-23-2004, 06:51 PM
Autoweek

Comes every week and has variety not offered anywhere else.

Ralph LoGrasso
12-23-2004, 07:41 PM
PHR. I'm dying to get my copy this month. :secret:

colt zantop
12-23-2004, 08:05 PM
PHR by far....I also like car craft....

dennis68
12-23-2004, 08:20 PM
CHP or PHR

Q ship
12-23-2004, 08:23 PM
Grassroots Motorsports. Lots of tech, very little manufacturer "bj's".

socalfandabodys
12-23-2004, 10:13 PM
I recently read a chevy rumble and was very impressed with it. Lots of info

yody
12-23-2004, 11:32 PM
I think car craft has fell off, pretty boring
Chevy high performance, used to be really good, now it is just beginner bolt ons, and poorly built engines that get dynoed with really stupid parts combos
Hot Rod is getting better with its new look and the car selection is better
Super chevy is pretty boring lately
But my all time favorite is pop hot rodding, I hope they will put my car in it when i finish it!! The only thing they could use is more how-to and tech. articles, the steilow build up articles are very good though. By far the best mag out.

Zefhix
12-24-2004, 12:41 AM
I like Hot Rod now and it's new direction but have always been a fan of Frieburger.....he's also now in charge of editing Car Craft and hopefully will follow suit. I really, really like the new format of Hot Rod.
-Keith :cool:

LowBuckX
12-24-2004, 03:06 AM
PHR is the only mag I realy love to open

dhardison
12-24-2004, 05:18 AM
PHR, Car Craft and Chevy Rumble are my favs. I also get CHP, Super Chevy and HotRod, but they normally sit a few days before being promoted to the top of the toilet tank. ;-)

Dan

B Cichocki
12-24-2004, 09:46 AM
HUSTLER :bsjerk: ......er, I mean PHR and Hot Rod. :angel:

-Brian

rocketrod
12-24-2004, 09:53 AM
CHP, PHR and Car Craft

Rod

MSchu
12-24-2004, 10:20 AM
I gotta go with Hot Rod. The last 3 or 4 under the new format have been awesome. I'm really starting to dislike PHR. Seems like every car and article have been the same for a long time now. Just hasn't impressed me much lately.

Bill Howell
12-24-2004, 10:41 AM
HUSTLER :bsjerk: ......er, I mean PHR and Hot Rod. :angel:

-Brian

I was wondering how long it would take for Playboy or Hustler to make the thread :lmao:
At least now I know the honest ones!

yellowcar72
12-24-2004, 04:19 PM
I think my favorite mag right now is a Brit mag called EVO.

TonyHuntimer
12-25-2004, 06:43 AM
Popular Hot Rodding is my personal favorite. The text and photography are second to none. Johnny Hunkins has done a great job with that magazine.

Hot Rod is a great magazine too.

Happy Holidays,
Tony Huntimer
RaceHome.com

Kenova
12-25-2004, 08:16 AM
I've always enjoyed reading Car Craft, especially with Freeby in charge. CHP was good when Jeff Smith was in charge, and I'd love to see him go back. Ro Mac, in my opinion spent way to much time with the whine and geeze set over at Motor Trend, and it is showing in CHP.
When it comes to Hot Rod, the new look is great. This is what one would expect from the magazine that started it all.
I have to confess that I don't read PHR very often, although I've always liked the fact that they are based in the North East and many of thier stories seem more geographically relevent (if that makes any sense).
The only gripe I have about most mags is the constant articles on the basics. Now before I get flamed, let me say that I realize that our hobby needs these articles to help those who have just been introduced to this great hobby/sport. But when these back to basics articles take up half of the mag, I'm left feeling bored and a little ripped off. Perhaps there is room out there for a magazine for those of us that have been in the hobby for a few decades?
Ken

ProdigyCustoms
12-25-2004, 12:09 PM
I like PHR, and lately have enjoyed the new look Hot Rod. Super Chevy, Car Craft, Chevy hi Perf, all come here also, along with Custom Car from the UK. Real cool retro stuff in Custom Car as they are a bit beatnik anyway.
Since the advent of the interent, there is no need for Playboy and others.

MuscleRodz
12-26-2004, 03:52 PM
IF you want to talk photography, pick up a copy of SUPERROD. For their feature articles, there is lots of detailed construction photos and high quality printing. Articles aren't much different than anybody else's. PHR is on the top of the list though.

Mike

Fluid Power
12-26-2004, 05:05 PM
I have followed Freiburger to every mag he has been in charge of. His work at Hot Rod has been stellar. The new layout and style of Hotrod is awesome and hopefully Car Craft will follow suit. I get PHR and have not been impressed with the mag lately. Car Craft has a ton of room to improve as well.

Playboy is probably one of the best written magazines available. The political coverage as well as interviews, coupled with the beautiful women make it hard to beat. (no pun intended, well maybe a little). It is also really inexpensive. I subscribe for $12 a year! I also just signed up for Road and Track for $7 a year! Circulation must be falling like a rock to subscribe for those prices.

Darren

myclone
12-26-2004, 05:19 PM
FWIW

Favorite=Popular Hot Rodding
2nd fav=Chevy High Tech Perf
3rd fav=Car Craft although their off the wall sense of humor content has diminished some and I miss that (I love the "top ten" list).

Hot Rod= A little too much show and not enough go for me. They seem to cater to the street rod/crate motor/billet or chrome everything/I have a LOT of money crowd IMO. Not my style since Id rather build it than buy it since any monkey can operate a check book.

TonyL
12-26-2004, 05:26 PM
PHR is far and away the best pro-touring mag out.
I also like Mini-truckin' for holding true to its style and connection to its readers for over almost 20 years.

airrj1
12-26-2004, 06:59 PM
PHR is my favorite right now. A very close second is Circle Track. I don't race any longer, but the tech articles are very good and they have little to no manufacturer sponsored 'tech articles'.

Salt Racer
12-27-2004, 08:06 AM
Race Car Engineering and Grassroots Motorsports.

I buy other magazines only when I see something I like.

BigCat
12-27-2004, 09:36 AM
PHR, Hemmings Muscle Machines & CHP; in that order.....

Lucas

Fawkes
12-27-2004, 10:27 AM
Too d@mn busy to read any mags, so I've let all of my subscriptions die off.

harshman
12-27-2004, 10:36 AM
Popular Hotrodding is by far my favorite. However, I will dish out some criticism – I would like them to continue testing each car that gets a spread and furthermore, I would like them to take a guinea pig first gen Camaro (since that seems to be the main centerpiece of pro-touring) and bolt on an array of suspension parts and prove them. I want the manufactures held to the flame as it were. I want Global-West, DSE, Hotchkis, Edelbrock, K&N (with their “proven” bolt on 40 hp air filter), etc. out there to sharpen their high-performance pencils. If you are gona make a part that you expect us to bolt on to our cars, it damn well better have proven performance gains. Although competition between manufactures will drive down prices, typically it will also produce flashier products those that tempt the buyer with more show than go.

I am also realistic. I know that a magazine will not bite the hand that feeds it but it could be a very ballsy move to create a magazine filled with truth and genuine parts that will plant your rear to the seat or your face to the side glass. After all, that is what we are here to do.

TonyL
12-27-2004, 12:24 PM
I agree that car mags need to back up the claims that are made on spread cars. I would love PHR to test some of the cars it features. A simple dash accellorometer (sp) would be sufficient to give us some usefull data. This would prevent alot of the shock and arguing that takes place after a real magazine car posts numbers here and at other forums. People want to know how those mods they are drooling over worked out. If it was money well spent.

the ablity to wring these cars out is there. The magazines do drag strip tests and dyno runs all the time. All they need is a skidpad. post that info in a side bar and it would rock.

in2protour
12-27-2004, 12:33 PM
Super Chevy and Chevy High Performance for me. But lately, I've been buying PHR at the newstand which is about double the price of subscription. So, I think I'll be subscribing to PHR soon.

harshman
12-27-2004, 01:03 PM
The magazines do drag strip tests and dyno runs all the time. All they need is a skidpad. post that info in a side bar and it would rock.
Super Chevy and Popular Hotrodding rent a small parking lot at California Speedway to run most of the tests. They use a 200' skid pad (parking lot), 420’ slalom (parking lot), and a legit drag strip. They use a radar gun and a laptop to do all of their calculations. It is a nice basic setup that works very well. I just wish they would use it more than they do now.

Team Derry
12-27-2004, 04:47 PM
Chevy High Performance has been a favorite of mine. I am actually using one of their engine buildups to base my 383 off of.

Nine Ball
12-27-2004, 06:51 PM
I am a news stand sucker. I buy them ALL. I plan on subscribing to them soon, since I have a new address now. But seriously, I buy probably $50 per month in car magazines. Insane? probably.

Right now, I'd have to say that PHR covers the most cars I'm interested in. I also agree that all feature cars should have some actual performance data posted. I purposely made some passes down the track with only 10 miles on my car so that Geoff would have some numbers to put in his write-up. I couldn't be one of those feature car owners without digits, how embarrassing!

Hot Rod is the best looking visually, I really like their new layout. Kinda like MAXIM for car stuff now, more modern looking. That layout really sets it apart visually from the other gearhead magazines. It will be interesting to see what Mr F. does with Car Craft.

Tony

jeffandre
12-27-2004, 07:01 PM
I only buy the mags that have pertinent articles to my specific needs, that being said, it has been at least 2 years since I bought a mag (and it is stored for easy access when I need the particular subject matter that I bought it for). I do look through the available mags every few weeks at the store to make sure I am not missing something important, so the next time something comes up I need I will make sure to get it. Unfortunately I do not do very many bolt-on things yet, and since most fo my mods are totally custom I generally need to discuss my ideas with people who work on cars in order to line out my ideas (mags rarely have what I need when it comes to this).

Pro-touring towncar
12-28-2004, 08:08 PM
Let me think. I subscribe to HR and Fourwheeler. I usually pick up Muscle mustangs & Fast Fords. I pick up what ever I think would be good reading.

Tim

BlazerSpeed
12-29-2004, 10:20 AM
My two favorites right now have to be Popular Hot Rodding and Truckin'

I feel the tech in both magazines is very well put together, although I'm a little disappointed to hear that Parkhurst is leaving the PHR along with Cam, but these things happen i guess.

you guys might laugh, but Truckin' actually has some really good tech articles, so far my favorites was turn your pig into a Porsche chaser, (designing a 4-link, and front suspension tech) and their interior resto. section, especially the whole write up on creating custom interiors.

I've heard good things about the grass roots mag, but never have picked it up, maybe ill check it out.
DEREK

shmoov69
12-29-2004, 07:51 PM
Lets see here, The ones I currently subscribe to......
Hot Rod - Becoming VERY good.....FINALLY!!
Car Craft - Has been my fav for the cheapskate in me
Chevy hi Performance - Well......They picked my car in the top 10!!! :yum:
Southern Rodder - They featured my car also!! :)
Pop Hot Rodding - More cars like ours
Rod and Custom - Still like rods
Old Skool Rodz - Like 'em traditional even more! :yum:
Goodguys Gazette - Comes when you become a member
The Rodders Journal - About the best "coffee table" mag out there.
Then whatever flips my trigger when I am out at a mag rack!

Taste of Home's Quick Cooking - Oh, wait.....how did that get in there?!?!?!? :hand:

trapin
12-30-2004, 08:53 AM
Since I am a Pro-Touring purist, I only subscribe (so far) to the one magazine that gives a damn about us.....Popular Hotrodding.

The rest of the magazines are still stuck in the stone age (pro-street).

I have been paying particularly close attention to Hot Rod of late as I was one of Freiburger's biggest critics in here after his famous 'Pro-Touring Posers' article from 2 years ago. You'll also remember around that time Hot Rod had welcomed Imports onto the pages of their magazine while at the same time seemingly thumbing their nose at our little corner of the world.

BUT......I gotta give credit where credit is due. It seems as if my cocerns about Dave and Hot Rod were unwarranted. Since that episode he's done a remarkable job of turning that magazine around. Gone are the Import Tuners, and in their place (dare I say it) are some Pro-Touring cars. As well as a 'shout out' to The Mule earlier this year (in the May issue if my memory serves me correct). Also there have been tech articles in some issues which speak to the G-Machine crowd. As far as looks and style, well...that's something Hot Rod never lost. They've always been the best looking magazine. So Frieburger made me eat my foot after all...hey, I'm happy to do it.

They keep this up...I may be recieving a copy of Hot Rod on my doorstep every month.

Who knew? :dunno:

Steve Chryssos
12-30-2004, 09:07 AM
I am a magazine junkie. :Alchy: New cars, motorcycles, hot rods--I read em all.

Steve1968LS2
01-02-2005, 10:09 PM
PHR.. love it but my subscription ran out and I can't find it anywhere. I also get Super Chey, Car Craft, Chevy Hi Perf, and GMHTP.

Im deforesting the planet one tree at a time ;)

Bill Howell
01-04-2005, 02:42 PM
My pick- Autoweek has the first pictures I have seen of the 06 mustang convertible this week. I know this is not a p-t car but I like the much anticipated new style anyway. I will be glad though when the suppy caughts the demand so the dealers will stop gouging people.

Matt
01-04-2005, 03:26 PM
PHR for content.
Octane for the amazing production quality.