PDA

View Full Version : Bump steer

ZZ4Blazer
12-23-2004, 06:20 PM
Hello all. I looking for some ideas to rid my truck of bumpsteer.

Heres a little background. I've got a 2wd 92 S-10 blazer. I've gone to a taller spindle on it. A common swap on the G bodies(pretty much all the same suspension as a 2wd S-series)

Im running the Hotchkiss tubular G-body UCA's, spindles off an impala, 1LE 12" camaro discs to keep my same bolt pattern, and SSBC dual piston aluminum calipers.

Dramatically increased handling, and braking as well, considering stock brakes are 10 1/4' single piston.

Any ideas are welcome.

I was thinking about someting similar to this, but not sure what Im gonna do yet.

http://jeffd.50megs.com/bump_steer_mods_page.htm

Marcus SC&C
12-26-2004, 08:56 PM
It`s pretty tricky to fix with that combination. The problem is that there`s such a huge vertical misalignment. Bear in mind that the following specs vary slightly with caster adj. In stock form the steering arms are about 5/8" too low for optimun bumpsteer. The B spindle`s arms are about 5/8" higher still! Making up 1.25" of misalignment will take some serious doing. You can either raise the steering arms or lower the rest of the linkage. Relocating the steering box and idler arm each 1.25" lower would do the trick. Taller stud LBJs would help but they`ll raise the RC and make the camber curves mighty aggressive with the already tall spindles. A custom center link might be the best solution but may be illegal in many states that have required safety inspections. Howe makes and adj. center link that would help some but only has about 1/2" of vertical adj. and isn`t intended for street use. The bushings in the ends of the link aren`t weather sealed so I dunno how well they`d hold up long term. Heims are a little iffy for long term street use too IMO,a variation of Jeff`s centerlink using OE style tie rod ends could be a pretty good solution if it were done right. Marcus