PDA

View Full Version : Feedback on Varishocks

GMachineDartGT
06-12-2007, 01:59 AM
Anybody use Alstons Varishocks? Feedback on durability, quality?

Jeremy
06-12-2007, 05:23 AM
I've had mine for 2 months and 700 miles. They seem to be well made and look incredible. They seem real repeatable as well in the adjustments. I had tried a fairly high rebound setting early on and didn't like it. I thought the shocks seemed like they were a little softer than when new and went back to that setting setting I didn't like and it behaved the same.

So far I am extremely pleased with them.

GMachineDartGT
06-12-2007, 10:26 AM
Thats what I wanted to hear..With Mopar A bodies, few make a short enough to fit properly, they do. I was curious as to the damping ability as well. Do you think I will be happy with the single adj type. I can't needing wildly different compression and rebound settings.

Jeremy
06-12-2007, 04:21 PM
If you are running a fairly standard type suspension I would imagine that the singles would be fine. I am using them to tune in a VBP transverse setup and I am glad I got the doubles.

I like them so much that I want a set of double adjustables with composite leafs on the back. It's just going to take me a while to save up.

TUBED
06-12-2007, 05:22 PM
Varishocks are what Air Ride Technologies uses I believe with good results. I think that what's in the ShockWaves on my car presently the car is not running so I can't give you any feedback otherwise.
Gerald

Jeremy
06-13-2007, 01:25 PM
One thing that I forgot to add. With the doubles you can change your weight transfer from side to side and thus change how it handles in turns. It is amazing what a few turns will do with respect to turn in and cornering grip.

GMachineDartGT
06-13-2007, 04:16 PM
Due to my budget, or lack thereof, I had to "settle" for the single adjustables...Considering I have never in 22 years had the right shock in this car, I am excited to finally have the missing piece to this puzzle. Remeber, I bought my first sway bars in 1986. People laughed at me when I wanted the Dart to handle. Back then, there were no such things as good shocks, tubular control arms, etc. Now they call it Pro-Touring...

Jeremy
06-13-2007, 04:32 PM
Be sure to let us know how they work when you get them on.

protour_chevelle
06-13-2007, 05:00 PM
I have them also and have put a couple hundred km's on it since the install.

I had a few hickups when I got mine, I didn't get any hardware to install them and had to go to a bolt supply store and stock up. Once installed in the car, the difference was night and day, coming from old tired shocks lol.

Anywho. I tried a lot of different adjustments. I went zero clicks and it rode very soft. I then put them on 16 and when pushing down on the car it felt very stiff, however when driving the car, I seemed to get nearly the same amount of travel in suspension which I thought was odd.

I also went with the shortened push rod length(if thats the right term) for the rear(so the shorter springs do not fall out when frame on jackstands). I would never do that again. There is no way in hell that I can put a longer spring in the car if I wanted, and I'm only talking 1" longer free height. I may have to spend my money twice on another set, I'm known to change stuff up lol. 4 different exhaust systems, 2 suspension setups. 2 sets of wheels, 2 rear ends. haha brutal.

GMachineDartGT
06-14-2007, 07:21 PM
I should have them end of next week maybe. I will install immediately. For the Dart, the front shock height is critical. Its a short shock, and the suspension has little travel, so the right damping could make a huge difference.

Alston makes a shock with the correct compressed and extended height, although its not the one they list if you look up the shock by application. The rear is the part number they recommend and the specs prove it will be the correct length.

Keep in mind the handling is excellent now, and I have placed in the top third of the pack when I autox'd with the Porsche club a few times, and thats with street tires. Now I run Kumho MXs which seem very sticky at street driving temps.

protour_chevelle
06-14-2007, 08:37 PM
Oh I'm not doubting the setup at all.

Yes I like my alston varishocks lol (my rears aren't a listed part number either btw hehe)