PDA

View Full Version : Holy sh*t--dexron-III vs gm synch in a TKO

formula
06-11-2007, 06:14 PM
Hey guys,

just wanted to say really quickly, since I know a ton of y'all are running TKO's, that if you have anything other than gm synchromesh fluid in yours, SWAP OVER NOW!! Or at least the next time you change your fluid. I always ran dexron-III in mine, but decided this time to see what gm synch was like, and HOLY COW! It completely revolutionized the way the tranny shifts, drives, everything. Cleaned up my chatter problem like nothin, and shifts are now just silky, buttery smooth. Made the car a real joy to drive!

At the very least, you owe it to yourself to give the stuff a try. I would have never ever ever believed that something as simple as swapping fluids would make such a difference....wow....:jump:

parsonsj
06-11-2007, 06:22 PM
Ah yes. GM synchromesh. 13.50 a quart. But never fear: GM Finance has a payment plan that is right for you.

:)

Andrew tells me that there is another brand (same stuff, different bottle) that is significantly less expensive.

jp

WS6
06-11-2007, 06:42 PM
I bet Amsoil would work well.

It's funny you mention this though as with the T56 that came stock in so many fbodies most people have found running a synthetic fluid makes it shift worse. Tremec took over the building of the T56 from BorgWarner in 98 or 99. They also made it weaker by using crappier parts. I run normal Dexron3 in my T56.

RatMalibu
06-11-2007, 08:16 PM
Synchromesh isn't synthetic, it's paraffin based. I'm running it in my T-56....good stuff

Cruiser
06-11-2007, 08:47 PM
Ran it in my Yamaha Banshee and it made a huge differance. Great stuff, but expensive. I don't have any stick shift cars to run it in.

Joe

WS6
06-12-2007, 04:42 PM
Oh well darn I always though it was a synthetic.

Jimi G
06-13-2007, 10:18 AM
The Amsoil brand is all I recommend and put in our units, I feel like it is the best stuff on the market, and I sell it for $10.00 a qt, so it is cheaper too. All Amsoil dealers should have it for about the same price. [email protected]

formula
06-13-2007, 12:00 PM
yeah when I bought it I kinda felt like :ripped: , but the shift quality is supremo. Drove 120 miles yesterday and that, combined with finally getting the carb worked out, made the whole day so much fun. but I had not heard of amsoil until now--sounds like I get to try them next. Thanks for the tip guys!

Bandit
06-13-2007, 10:49 PM
Another consideration for a new TKO is that Tremec won't even hear any warranty issues unless you are running GM synchromesh. I have heard that the Amsoil equivalent is ok for warranty purposes as well, but until I see it in writing I will stick with Synchromesh--it's really good stuff. The Amsoil synthetic should be great as well, I have never heard of people having problems with it in manual trannies.

slenning
06-14-2007, 04:39 AM
Does anybody have any experience with Royal Purple Synchromax? Its a synthetic at just under $10.00 qt. I bought some but haven't put it in yet and will go buy synchromesh if it works better.

Tomsecks
06-14-2007, 08:01 AM
Go with Pennzoil Syncromesh - available at any parts store, about $6 a quart.

andrewb70
06-14-2007, 10:29 AM
Go with Pennzoil Syncromesh - available at any parts store, about $6 a quart.

That is what I use. Pennzoil makes it for GM. Same stuff.

Andrew

ertoys
06-15-2007, 07:12 AM
That is what I use. Pennzoil makes it for GM. Same stuff.

Andrew
Andrew, that being said, will the TKO still have the same warranty coverage? Silly question, I know ;however, I cant be to careful in my opinion.

andrewb70
06-15-2007, 07:29 AM
Andrew, that being said, will the TKO still have the same warranty coverage? Silly question, I know ;however, I cant be to careful in my opinion.

I have no idea how that will effect the warranty. If it is a big concern then a call to Tremec or a Tremec dealer would be worthwhile.

Andrew