PDA

View Full Version : cheap? early vette 4piston to 1st generation

BRIAN
12-23-2004, 04:18 PM
I am thinking of retro style pro tour machine and was researching brake options. The jl8 was basically 4 piston Vette stuff which is pretty cheap and has lots of pad and rotor options, Anybody ever do swap? I beleive rotor bolts on drum hub? Anybody know of bolt on brkt?? Rear looks simple with only fab'd brkt needed.
I know there are tons of late model kits, but hey something different. Plus after looking through all the mag tests 60-o with cars having some high dollar brakes aren't all that impressive. I like tinkering any ideas??? Thanks

indyjps
01-01-2005, 12:45 PM
search ebay, theres a guy that has jl8 setups on there, very correct parts even though its a mix of corvette and fabricated components, ive seen his rearend kits compared to original and had to be shown the differences. if i can find his stuff ill pm you with it.

David Pozzi
01-01-2005, 04:20 PM
I once made a ft cal bracket for a "JL8" swap out of a single piston bracket. It's maybe on the weak side since the aftermarket brackets are 5/16" thick or so, but they are $400.

The rear can be done with a flat 3/8" plate bolted to the rear side of the drum flange, using three holes. Guldstrand sells those but the E brake will not work.

BRIAN
01-01-2005, 07:15 PM
I would appreciate the link. I just tore car down and will be starting in about a week or so. I know the Vette brakes are frowned upon because they are not flashy stuff but they have been used for years and rotor and pad selection is very good. After a lot of research they just seam to go with look I want and also even more important work well with other componenets such as masters and valves that are bolt on. Why not use the calipers for the master that everybody is using anyway? I have used the stainless stuff without the OEM leaks. The drawback so far is the weight of the calipers. Anybody know the weight of a C5 caliper or Wilwood 4 piston. Got to be atleast 1/2. I will use 3rd member e brake as I always have trouble with integral brake calipers and is cleaner set up than internal drum. Thanks for info

David Sloan
01-06-2005, 04:56 AM
I did the early vette brakes on my red camaro. they look an work just fine for what we use the car for. I painted the calipers to match the car. I think they look good, an so dose my wife as it is her car as of Xmas.
I found the front brackets @ a swap meet. the rear i made out of 1/4" plate an bolted to rear end.

BRIAN
01-06-2005, 09:34 AM
Pricing it out I think it is going to be about the same as the Late vette stuff so I will probably go with that set up but, You used stock Vette rotors on drum hubs and JL8 style bracket? Which rotor did you use in the rear a Vette front or rear I think they have 2 different offsets??? Thanks Brian