PDA

View Full Version : paint and body people!?

protouring70
12-23-2004, 04:08 PM
I have been overly patient with my painter. He has had my car since the end of Feb. '04. Now that I am starting to push him and give him a final date he tells me that he doesn't know if he can finish it. I give him to the first of April '05.
He has given me a price that was reasonable, and now that I am looking around for someone else to paint it. All I get is that they wouldn't touch it for what the other guy priced it.
Now I don't know what to do. Any suggestions?
Thanks Brent

Andrew McBride
12-23-2004, 05:18 PM
Has he started on any of the work? Sometimes a little extra time means a cheaper price or also a delayed time means better quality. But then again 10 months is a little long. I would just pick the car up and spend some time shopping around for another guy. Sounds like the guy isnt really wanting to work on the car or doesn't care, if that is the case I wouldn't want him touching my car. His work ethic may evolve in the quality you are expecting, which could possibly be disasterous. Good luck.

Andrew

StRacerDuke
12-23-2004, 10:17 PM
I would find another painter.

It sounds to me like the guy just doesn't want to paint it. If you wait it out or 'encourage' him you'll probably not be happy with the work. I would cut your losses and move on. I did my last paint job in 5 weeks (Start to Finish) and that was only working at night 'after work'.

dennis68
12-23-2004, 11:17 PM
I'm not a body/fender guy but I have only been on mine since August '04 working some nights and a few weekends. It is real close, a thousand bucks and a solid week of work would fininsh it.

68fusion
12-25-2004, 05:44 PM
most shops use this work to "fill" in when work gets slow...save yourself some heartache and take it to a specialty shop - one that does high quality restos or custom stuff...all the rest are just gonna push you aside for the gravy.. bumper, light hit stuff....just my 2c worth..

qwik1320
12-26-2004, 06:53 AM
Ask other guys in your area where they had their car done, cars shows are great places to ask. If you're lucky you'll find a guy who used to be in the paint and body business who either retired or went on to another profession and they only do it part time now because they want to. If you're REALLY lucky you'll find someone who only likes working on F-bodies, A-bodies, etc... It will still probably take months (and there may be a line of guys ahead of you) but at least your car will be getting someone's undivided attention.

Poopy
12-26-2004, 06:22 PM
He's had your car for almost a year? And you still kept it there? I would hope it would be done within a couple weeks or a month at the most. I'd find someone else, or do it yourself.

Andrew McBride
12-27-2004, 02:23 PM
couple weeks? maybe for the overhaulin team. most guys cant build cars that quick and get a satisfactory job. I am 1200 Hours in my car and not a bit of paint has been sprayed. I would rather a guy take his time and do the best job he can vs. a thrown together body/paint work.

Poopy
12-27-2004, 05:16 PM
But you didnt say he was building your whole car, you just said he was your "painter" :)

Duesey
01-05-2005, 04:44 AM
Unless you really have your wallet out I think you'll have a hard time finding someone with the strong motivation it takes to do a proper job in a timely matter. There has to be serious motivation usually to get the job done. It's easy for someone to give a quick estimate to the customer but really open up a can of worms once the car is stripped. This can quickly unmotivate the painter since they already know they are working for a reduced wage because they estimated low. In some cases you could be working weeks for free if the car is bad enough. I don't agree with that type of attitude but I've seen it happen. In fact I work with a guy that took on a 67? camaro convertible to paint. He's had it three years and it's not anywhere near finished. He opened up one of those can of worms and has no drive to finish it. In fact he said his only motivation is to free up extra space once he gets it finished. It might get worked on once a month and that's a good month. I'll only touch a car if it's on a time and material basis. Keeps me hungry since I always know that each hour I work I get paid. For modern vehicles I'd rather go by the book and make much more per hour but when it comes to restorations hours are the only way to go. An excellent job should take more than four months in my opinion. This leaves enough time for the various stages of primer loading to sit and cure good. Good luck with it and remember if you pull it out you might start the cycle all over with another painter. I'd take quik1320's advice and kick around the local car shows and paint suppliers to find someone that might be interested in taking on work quick.