PDA

View Full Version : Ring Bros Billet hood hinge review and install

Larry Callahan
06-09-2007, 08:58 PM
Recently, I had the chance to install one of the coolest new pro-touring products currently on the market: Ringbrothers (http://www.ringbrothers.com/) billet hood hinges. These hinges are truly a work of art. As the General Manager of an aerospace machine shop, I am well versed in various forms of metal production and fabrication, and I must note that these hinges are of the nicest billet pieces I have ever seen. They are not only aesthetically pleasing (read: look awesome!), but they work really well, and simply put, are just a bitchin’ part.

As the hinges were shipped to the aerospace shop I manage, I took the opportunity to take them around and show them off to some of my co-workers. Though the layman might not appreciate the beautiful machine work and craftsmanship, the general consensus around the shop was—wow! Everyone (myself included) was very impressed with the quality of the product. When I told everyone that these were hood hinges for a ’68 Camaro, and not the intricate workings of a robotic arm, or a part for a spacecraft, jaws dropped. These hinges are the real deal, and an excellent upgrade from the old, crusty stamped steel hinges they replaced. Mustang owners needn’t worry—the hinges are available for early mustangs, as well as first generation Camaros and Firebirds.

https://www.pro-touring.com/advertisers/ringbros/hinge-on-hood.jpg

The interchangeable gas shocks on the hinges act as both a feature of function and convenience: the hinges can be ordered with shocks valved for the weight of a steel, fiberglass or carbon fiber hood. As any motorhead knows, a project is never “done” as parts are always being altered and upgraded. If one was to swap from a steel hood to fiberglass, or vice versa, the only alteration necessary to the hinges is a simple shock swap.

My ’68 Camaro is still sporting the original steel hood, but as I’m on the tall side, I was able to remove the hood, install the hinges and reinstall the hood by myself. I simply unbolted and removed the hood, pitched the old steel hinges in the recycle bin, and bolted the new Ring Brothers hinges on. New (and upgraded) hardware is included with the hinges, so there’s no need to run out to the local hardware store. Note: there are two different length bolts included with the hinges—make certain that the longer bolts are installed into the fender and not the hood. Once the hood was bolted back on, it took just a few minutes of minor adjustments, and everything was lined up perfectly.

In less than 30 minutes, I went from this:

https://www.pro-touring.com/advertisers/ringbros/old-hinge.jpg

To this:

https://www.pro-touring.com/advertisers/ringbros/new-hinge.jpg

These billet hood hinges are just one of the awesome products that the Ring Brothers manufacture.

Check out their website:www.ringbrothers.com (http://www.ringbrothers.com) for lots of other cool products, and information on some of the incredible cars they have built (I can still recall the first time I saw "Reactor" at SEMA: it is absolutely amazing. I still can't get over the amount of mill and lathe work that went into that car.

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

This is the first interactive product review and install on pro-touring.com; there are more to follow. Please feel free to respond with any questions or comments you may have. If I can't answer your questions, I'm sure Nick from Ringbros can.

muthstryker
06-15-2007, 09:02 PM
those look really good larry, a huge imporvement. someone needs to make something for 64-67 A-bodies now, hint hint all you companys.

formula98
06-15-2007, 09:43 PM
I have seen them on several cars and when I got the chance to lift the hood on Mr. Rupp's Penny I was sold. I bought a pair a week later. They are a true work of Art! I will be installing them on my project...

jasonsnova
06-16-2007, 05:33 AM
anyone know if they will work on 68-74 novas??? and if not will you start building them please!!!

Cruiser
06-16-2007, 05:41 AM
Seeing them on the Red Witch and moving the hood where ever you wanted and it stays up was very cool. One thing Charley told me was the hood does not go up as far as it did with the stock hinges. A small price to pay for such a nice part.

Also the ones on the witch are anodized black and had the look with out the bling..........they looked great hiding there!!

Joe

streetk14
06-18-2007, 08:43 PM
Looks like a cool product to me, but........ they are a bit pricey for my taste. I'm not one to think twice about spending big money on my cars, in fact, I just spent an amount of money I don't wish to talk about on the blower for my '67.

I can think of much better places to spend $600+, but maybe this would be something I'd buy when my car is COMPLETLY finished. On the other hand, I'm very happy companies are making new products like this for our cars and I'm sure there is a market for parts like this.

Andy

06-21-2007, 01:30 PM
thanks for the kind words guys, and on the topic of pricing.... you have to see a set to understand just how much machining and aluminum is in these parts. But honestly, we like to cater to the crowd that has to have THE most badass car on the block. It's nice to see your part on all the badass cars.

chop
06-23-2007, 07:14 AM
Thanks for the review. These are added to my growing wish list.

68/CamaroFL
06-23-2007, 01:39 PM
Hey Nick how about giving us a special for Pro-Touring members?:usa:

BMF Machine
06-23-2007, 06:40 PM
thanks for the kind words guys, and on the topic of pricing.... you have to see a set to understand just how much machining and aluminum is in these parts. But honestly, we like to cater to the crowd that has to have THE most badass car on the block. It's nice to see your part on all the badass cars.

Those things are awsome! I can make them, I know what it takes, but I would buy yours because I do not have time to do anything. Time is money, I would rather spend the money than waste the time. Your products are perfect! I could only do as good, I do not see any room for improvement!

PS, I love that freaking wicked Mustang!

So, from one professional CnC Dude to another, those look very nice and the price is right on!

Probably you are like me; I would Love for GM to put all their parts on Solid Works at a FTTP site so we could abuse the hell out of it and make the changes from year to make and model much easier. Ford should do the same as well as Dodge and lets not leave out Pontiac, but I do not see them ever doing that; It would make it to easy for the aftermarket DudeS!

14 years on CnC Mill and lathe(18 if you count double the time I have been running my CnC Mill and lathe at my shop?) 10 years of Featurecam, 3 years of Mastercam and 3 years of minor Solid Works.. Tool and Die Journeyman since 95. and just turning the big 34 in August! So much left to learn!

At least I know I love HAAS; been running one since 97, I own two, and I run a VF-6 64 x 32 x 30 30HP, reinshaw tool setter, side mount 30 pos tool changer! That is at the day job I hate, but I lose the hate while running the BIG HAAS!

Just so ya Know, my compliment comes from knowing what I am talking about when I see a CooL MachineD part! TwisT is up there as well, Must not leave out Steve and Crew on engine bay dress up! I think I am almost CooL, at least 4 more years. Then my equipment will be payed off and I will be back out on my own and seeing what my imagination can come up with?:hmm:

Mark68
09-18-2007, 03:36 AM
These are beautiful pieces but the price tag is pretty high. I would love to buy a set but need to put the money into other things right now. Maybe when the car is complete, I will invest in a pair.

BAP
10-02-2007, 04:28 AM
I like the billet look too.

MuscleRodz
02-05-2008, 11:44 AM
Bring this back to the top. We have had a run on their hinges lately and we are very happy to carry them. They are and awesome product and I will be putting a set on our 69 convertible. They will show well with all the other great products we will show case on this car.

ILLMATIC
01-30-2012, 06:50 AM
it would be nice if the RING BRO would make these hood hinges for the 1996 chevy impala

LeighP
02-04-2012, 02:05 AM
I used a set of their Airframe hinges on my 71 Firebird...work brilliantly and look great.

CharlieC
02-07-2012, 05:33 PM
Same for my '57 Chevy Convertible.

Charlie

BlackPearl
02-07-2012, 07:40 PM
I'm sorry to say mine didn't work out so well on my 68 Camaro and an Anvil Carbon Fiber Hood.

There was nothing odd about my car other than the “Anvil hood” was about 3/8" thicker than the stock hood and I was running an 11" brake booster which also got in the way of the driver’s side hood bracket shock. I contacted them but once they learned I had milled down the two shock mounts, on the driver’s side, to bring the shock in closer to clear the 11” booster, it was made clear I was on my own. Actually, I was told “we have thousands of those out there and have never had a problem” oh “we just changed the shock design/location to fix another problem with the shock hitting the firewall but have not heard of any problems with the new design”.

Unfortunately for me, until I fixed the booster issue, I was not aware of the other issues I was going to have with bracket hitting my inner fender when trying to get my hood down far enough to sit flush, not even after removing the factory inner fender bolts, which the body of the RB hood brackets sits right over and hits . Also, the forward/Aft issues I learned I now had with again not enough adjustment to get the gaps clean.

Don't get me wrong these are very nice quality hinges and I love to look at them, I just wish they would have worked for my application. I do realize that the Anvil hood had a part in this problem not being “perfectly” the same as a stock 68 Camaro hood but it was close enough and should have worked.

I also have a lot of experience with machining, engineering and being a GM of Aerospace companies so it was obvious to me that these were made to work on a 69 Camaro and limited when it comes to the adjustments on the 68, or probably the 67 Camaro.

Thanks for the post