PDA

View Full Version : 1st Gen Camaro radio antenna options?

Wildthing
12-23-2004, 06:27 AM
I am looking at the install of a radio in my 68 Camaro and realize that I do not have an antenna nor a good Antenna option.
Does anyone out there know of a good low profile antenna?
The first thing that comes to mind is maybe a trace installed around the window-is there anyone out there that makes these?
Second thing is maybe scavenging a 80's vehicle with an auto antenna-Any idea on what would fit the front right fender hole? Is there a aftermarket that would work?

Any thoughts?

justanova
12-23-2004, 07:08 AM
somone that advertises street rodder magazine sells an antenna that goes under the dash so its completely hidden, I don't have a mag in front of me to check it out but after I get home I will see if I can find it for u.

Jagarang
12-23-2004, 07:47 AM
I should have smoothed the radio antenna opening in my fender and used an underdash or windshield based unit, but the paint is allready in final finish and I'm stuck with an ugly stock antenna or a gaping hole in my fender. I've thought of a flat metal bolt on cover that I could paint body color to delete the antenna and hide the hole, but that might be just as bad as keeping the antenna. I would love to figure out some way to retro-fit an automatic antenna from something else so that at least it would retract when not in use. I've even thought of the power antenna assembly that was offered for the rear quarter mounts in 69. These are unfortunatly very rare, very expensive, and very LARGE. I've been told that the original power antenna assembly would not fit inside the fender well. The only option it seems is an smaller, more compact, late model retro-fit. You also have to be carefull of the way its mounted, because if it's not adequately supported, it will reek havoc on the fender sheetmetal and hole over time. I'm at a loss, and have been pondering the issue for years. I have found a colapsable antenna which locks in the down position with a key, but the entire assembly is of poor fit/finish and poor quality, I'm not sure I want to put it on the car.

justanova
12-23-2004, 04:40 PM
I got home and looked at the mag, auto loc at www.autoloc.com sells a hidden antenna

justanova
12-23-2004, 04:48 PM
http://www.autoloc.com/products/antennas.lasso

maybe the power ant. will fill the bill for you jagarang.

hope this helps.

Wildthing
12-23-2004, 07:38 PM
I should have smoothed the radio antenna opening in my fender and used an underdash or windshield based unit, but the paint is allready in final finish and I'm stuck with an ugly stock antenna or a gaping hole in my fender. .

My car has a custom black plastic plug over the hole. Most don't even notice it. It will not damage the fender in any way and is hardly noticeable. I would say do something similar and install the underdash!

THANKS for the underdash information JUSTANOVA!!!

Wildthing

burner
05-02-2009, 12:25 PM
Anyone know who makes the short, black rubber-style antennaes for the 1st Gen Camaro front fender?

Earl
Ewa Beach, HI