PDA

View Full Version : new member saying hi

JLM
12-22-2004, 04:49 PM
I was just directed to this site by a member of a local car board I moderate. I thought I'd register and see how this place is as well.

A little about me:
I'm 22, work for State Farm Life Co. in the monthly billing department. i enjoy everything car related; whether it be working on them, cruising, racing etc. I am an amature music producer in and currently getting my degree in music. I also enjoy outdorr activities like snowboarding.

About my cars:
My current toy is a 2003 Cobra. it's got the normal bolt-ons and put down a moddest 460.7rwhp / 489.7rwtq.
I also am the owner of a 1969 Firebird coupe. I purchased the car in high school in april of '99. The firebird has pretty much sat since then but I am just now getting her together and ready for the streets. The car has a fresh 455 in it .030 with a forged/balanced rotating assembly. It currently has a set of #62's on top and an edelbrock torker II with 800 cfm carb feeding the engine.
This setup will be changed quite a bit as teh build progresses. The heads will be sold in favor of 87cc edelbrock aluminum heads to lower the compression to a more boost friendly range. The engine will be fed air through 2 T60-1 turbos at a planned 12-15 psi on a blow through setup.
As far as the suspention, that's kind of why I'm here. I'm planning on a slight drop using either lowering springs or drop spindles up front and modified leafs in the back. The car has had an MP brakes front disk brake conversion and PST polygraphite bushings with upgraded front sway bar. The rears will eventually be converted to disk as well. A set of 18" wheels will complete the package.

Anyway this is starting to get long, so I'll just quit while I'm ahead. Hope the contribute and learn a lot from this community.

Ralph LoGrasso
12-22-2004, 05:03 PM
Welcome aboard.

As for the firebird, read some posts in the suspension section, there is good info there. We've got a bunch of suspension gurus running around these days, so they should be able to answer any questions you have. I can tell you that most guys don't like drop spindles for first gens. Lowering springs is a better way to lower the car, with regards to handling.

derekf
12-22-2004, 06:27 PM
Hi, JLM, welcome to the site.

We're kinda big on first names here, it's kinda hard to call people "FaSTeaRLyCamARoWiTHaBIgeNGInE Yo", as an example... so what's your name?

Do you have pics of the Firebird? We like pics, even if the car isn't finished.

JLM
12-22-2004, 07:42 PM
Thatnsk for the warm welcome. My name is Jason actually. I should just go ahead and put that in my signature.

With regards to the drop spindles vs lowring springs, I was leaning more towards lowering spring on the basis that I didn't put drop spindles on in the first place and don't feel like replacing a perfectly good spindle unless I had to. The springs are cheaper anyway. It's kind of cold and crappy around here right now but I will try to get some pictures of the bird and post them up.