PDA

View Full Version : 3rd gen PS box ans pump for 1st gen Cam

jeff5347
06-04-2007, 12:32 PM
Ive read all the posts and just have some questions as i want to make sure i have everything i need. I was planning on doing the PS box conversion from my 1st gen PS box to a 3Rd gen Box. The components i will have as of Wednesday are the PS box, and pump. They are still connected by the lines. My questions are:
1.Will this work with the stock box for the 3rd gen, bolting PS pump to heads and such?
2. I know i will need to change the pulley to my orig PS box pulley.
3. Can i use the orig 1st gen pitman arm?
4. This should bolt to my fram w. no mods, correct?
5. This new box has a 2.5 lock to lock turn, much better than my orig.
6. Are there any modifications or problems i should be aware of when doing this conversion?
Jeff

caintmakit
06-04-2007, 07:50 PM
I've done this to my 69 as well.

1&2: I used my stock ps pump. It doesn't work great, but that has more to do with a poorly aligned pully that allows the belt to slip at times.

3: Yea, you use the 1st gen pitman arm.

4: box bolts to frame with no mods. Its pretty much the same casting.

5: There are several different 3rd gen box's. I have the fastest WS6 box. It is much faster and stiffer then the 69 box. Steering feel is a bit off though. It doesn't feel as good as a newer car would. I can't put my finger on why it feels different though. I think its a lack of feedback and it doesn't return to center as well as it should. (Could be alignment issues.)

6: You need a rag joint that couples the english steering shaft to the metric box. If you use your old ps pump you also need some press in fittings that allow the stock flair fittings on the PS hoses to fit in the o-ring style box. Lee Steering has a kit with everything you need.

Overall the conversion was pretty easy. You will need a 2nd set of hands to help hold up the box while you thread in the frame bolts. It gets heavy after a while. Also, make sure the rest of your steering is up to snuff. (new tie rods, idler arm, etc.) The quicker box with worn out steering may react badly.

MLP

jeff5347
06-06-2007, 05:20 AM
Yea so i have a new pitman arm to use as the old one is very worn. He has the PS pump that goes with this box so ill use that and same time there. I know im gonna need an alignment as the wheel before didnt return to center. so basically it sounds like it is a plug and play. My only question or worry is what you said regarding a new ragjoint. I also ordered a new ragjoint for the 68 camaro thru NPD. Can i use that or what is the ragjoint i will need?
thanks a bunch MLP

caintmakit
06-07-2007, 08:05 PM
No, you need a special rag joint. The stock rag joint that bolts up to the steering shaft will not fit the spline on the new box. I think the rag joint off a late 70's truck is the one to use. (when they switched to the new style box on the old style frame.)

Like I said, call Lee Steering and talk to them. The woman I talked to knew right away what I wanted and had it to me in a few days. Worked like a charm. Fairly in-expensive too. I don't have their number handy, but you should be able to find it in a quick search.

Marty

BonzoHansen
06-08-2007, 07:53 PM
Not sure if you saw this thread: http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=103139