PDA

View Full Version : Help needed

Bill Howell
12-22-2004, 07:56 AM
Hey Guys,
My wife and I are about to purchase a laptop. Trouble is we do not know what to buy. We went to Best Buys the other day and left more confused than when we arrived.They got portable desktops,laptops,two types of wireless, blah, blah,blah. We are looking for something to use when away from home to check email and (of course I will be checking this site) light surfing. We intend to spend $1200 to $1600. I think we are in the right price range but we want the best bang for the buck so if we need to spend a tad more that is ok.I don't want to start a war here over what is the best, just need some imput on what ya'll have and like.
Thanks in advance for your help,

ProdigyCustoms
12-22-2004, 08:10 AM
Period! I have Sony's top of the line and a Dell, Dell! Also Dells extended warranty, critical on a laptop, is better and cheaper then Best Buy, Circuit City, etc
I also run Dell desktops.

qwik1320
12-24-2004, 12:43 PM
I got a brand new Dell Inspiron 8600 for my wife about a month ago on Ebay. New in the box, not refurbed for $150 less than direct from Dell. Somehow the Ebay "Power Sellers" get deals and sell cheaper than Dell does on their site...I'm not complaining!

Bill Howell
12-24-2004, 12:57 PM
Thanks for all the imput guys.I think we are locked on Dell, just need to figure out what options/upgrades to get. Had not thought about the ebay route. How would the warrenty(sp) work on those?

redsand
12-24-2004, 02:38 PM
I buy all dell for our company. Great service and support.

qwik1320
12-26-2004, 06:33 AM
Bill,
Warranty is the basic 1 year starting from the build date on the pc. I haven't looked into adding time to the warranty but you probably can. Good luck!

Smoke'm
12-26-2004, 06:08 PM
Dude....get a Dell...I have a reg machine and a wiz bang laptop for the wife, Inspiron 5100...I wont bother to tell ya what it has as its a year old and I am sure they are way better now...only advice find someone that has a buisness that gets there little catalog from Dell...Joe average does not get this book..it usually has some pretty hopped up machines at good deals and when you call they offer other upgrades pretty cheap or FREE...advice buy the most powerfull machine you can get period. I spent 1200 last year on her's and it was well over 2k worth of machine to duplicate...good luck.

TonyL
12-26-2004, 06:22 PM
Never by from best buy. they are an evil, evil company. the storys ive heard. They are only in the business of selling warrentees.

dell is great. we have them at work, never had a problem. ever.

Smoke'm
12-27-2004, 08:52 AM
last advice buy it NEW from Dell directly...buying new used is like buying new used cars...always seems to be something screwing with the deal.....

Bill Howell
12-29-2004, 05:29 PM
Thanks for the help guys. Melinda ordered a new Dell today. Now if I can just figure it out.....