PDA

View Full Version : Power steering feel without power steering

01somta
05-30-2007, 02:30 PM
What is the best way to get the closest feel of power steering w/o actually having power steering?

Goatman
05-30-2007, 03:17 PM
I just close my eyes and make Vrooom, Vrooom noises.....

Is there another way to phrase your question?

69HuggrrrPT
05-30-2007, 04:10 PM
I'm thinking he means, what manual box would be similar/closest feel to a power box?

01somta
05-30-2007, 04:33 PM
I'm thinking he means, what manual box would be similar/closest feel to a power box?

yes exactly! what steering box or what rack and pinion setup, would give me the most "power steering" feel?

Goatman
05-30-2007, 04:52 PM
If there was one that did that, why would anyone need a power box?

Take some weight off the front of the car and the effort will be less... Narrower tires will do the same...

01somta
05-30-2007, 05:35 PM
If there was one that did that, why would anyone need a power box?

Take some weight off the front of the car and the effort will be less... Narrower tires will do the same...

I never said that I wanted the car to steer exactly like a powersteering car, because I know that is not possible. What I said was; what setup would "most likely"!!

GetMore
05-30-2007, 06:01 PM
I still think you need to clarify.
To my way of thinking, there is no "feel" to power steering. It merely reduces the effort required to turn the wheel. (I know that statement isn't totally correct, but hopefully you see my point.)
You could install a slower-ratio manual box, which would reduce the effort, but require you to turn the wheel more.

You could adjust the alignment, bringing caster (or is it camber?) close to zero. This would reduce the effort required without dropping the ratio.

Mr.VENGEANCE
05-30-2007, 06:23 PM
my guess hes asking.. "what box makes it easier to steer" or the latest hit.. "what box makes more turning power at slow speeds"

novanutcase
05-30-2007, 06:28 PM
Lower your scrub radius...........

GetMore
05-31-2007, 06:39 AM
Lower your scrub radius...........
There you go, the correct solution.
Now, for my information, and possibly others', how would you reduce the scrub radius?

Ripper
05-31-2007, 11:46 PM
There you go, the correct solution.
Now, for my information, and possibly others', how would you reduce the scrub radius?

New front rims with more backspacing.