PDA

View Full Version : 2nd gen coilover conversion

ks71z28
05-30-2007, 08:15 AM
I have a bare subframe and I really feel with more seam welding the stock a-arm/shock mount portion can be strong enough to run a true coilover, instead of those stupid tapered coils. Any thoughts on this? I want to sand blast the frame and completely weld all seams. The upper mount where the coilover would mount is plenty thick, would use a bolt type eye, just like shock to mount. Yeh or nay

Keith

formula
05-30-2007, 11:12 AM
That's how my shockwaves bolt in, if I'm understanding you correctly. Granted, I haven't done the structural analysis myself, but I still vote yea.

Marcus SC&C
05-30-2007, 11:19 AM
Alston Varishock has has a GM conversion coil over setup for several years using the stock upper mounts. http://www.scandc.com/varishocks.htm There are a few keys to doing it right though. They use a greasable bearing upper mount that eliminates the typical bending loads put on the mount by the shock as the suspension moves through it`s travel shock. They also use a machined fit housing that fits tightly in the shock mounting hole with reinforcing plates on each side to spread out the load. If you look at aftermarket racing coil over mounts you`ll find most of them are no thicker than your stock upper shock mount yet they hold up to extreme abuse and racing spring rates. If you want to make it doubly strong it`s an easy matter to fully weld the outboard edge of the shock mount to the subframe and box the sides in which should make it bomb proof. We have a few clients running the Varishock coil overs in stock subframes with blown iron big blocks and good results. The key in making any suspension mount like this live is to be sure it never coilbinds or bottoms out. That`s when you start to break things and that`s one of the biggest problems with the QA1 hybrid setup. I get calls about problems with those literally every day. Mark SC&C

ks71z28
06-01-2007, 10:23 AM
Marcus,
Thanks for your insight. I too have seen race stuff not as stout. my spare subframe will be blasted and completely welded all seams.

Keith

ks71z28
06-01-2007, 10:39 AM
Marcus,

Does that kit include springs? I assume different lengths are available? Just want to know more options. I live an hour from Cahssis works, but willing to buy from you to support the cause! I am a small part time fab shop (part time at that)

thanks
Keith Smith
Custom Works
530 864*5846

Lowend
06-01-2007, 04:04 PM
This is gonna look a little freaky because its actually a 2nd gen subframe grafted to a 1st gen Mustang (don't ask) but he did a coil over setup using adjusters and a retainer chain based off some circle track stuff... the car is VERY fast at Thunder Hill

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2007/06/mdzfrontshotofpparms-1.jpg