PDA

View Full Version : Is it OK to have weight on subframe without sheet metal?

toddshotrods
12-21-2004, 05:53 PM
Hey guys,

Project Machete (79 Camaro) is finally inside for the winter, and my first project is a custom front clip. If I remove all the sheet metal from the windshield forward, are the remaining four body mount bolts enough to support the weight of the car with everything else intact? It will basically be a complete car minus hood fenders, front fascia, bumper, radiator support, inner fenderwells (never had those anyway).

I am not going to drive it like this - just doing the fiberglass work. When that is complete I plan to fab 1.75" mild steel tubing braces from the firewall to the front of the subframe. My plan is to make them bolt to the stock upper rear fender mounting locations on the firewall, figuring that if the factory supported it from there it should work for my purposes. I prefer to not do the braces until after the new clip is done because I want them to be made to fit the body, not vice versa.

I am used to working on full-frame and uni-body vehicles and figured I'd better ask you guys because many of your projects have front subframes.

Please deposit your comments, suggestions, and opinions, in five four, three, two, one...

Todd

nancejd
12-21-2004, 06:11 PM
Shoudn't be a problem at all.

toddshotrods
12-21-2004, 06:25 PM
Thanks Nance, now I can work with peace of mind.

I couldn't wait for someone to say something so I could reply - I had to get to 667 posts cuz the last number was creeping me out :eek:

Todd

nancejd
12-21-2004, 07:39 PM
No problem. I'm assuming this is what you were talking about. http://mywebpages.comcast.net/nancejd/clip3.jpg

toddshotrods
12-21-2004, 07:59 PM
Yup, that's exactly what I am talking about. One day soon it will look just like that - er uh except for the fact that yours is a first gen with a nice shiny paint job!

Thanks again,

Todd

nancejd
12-22-2004, 12:40 PM
It's shiny until you get about 5 feet away, then all of the little imperfections start showing up. It's even further apart than that ow. The subframe is off getting repainted.

toddshotrods
12-22-2004, 10:57 PM
Still got me beat - from 100 feet away I have no shine, imperfections appear soon after. I'm not complaining though because at least I don't have to contend with Ohio rust (supposed to be a CA car). I would like to think I'll get it painted for next season, but something tells me that next winter's project.

Poopy
12-27-2004, 08:18 AM
Just to hijack and add to this thread, is it safe to hang a subframe car on a rotisserie from the front and rear bumper mounts, with all the fenders and sheetmetal bolted on? Or would some bracing need to be done?

nancejd
12-27-2004, 04:44 PM
I don't know why it wouldn't be safe. Aren't the bumpers the factory jack points anyways?