PDA

View Full Version : Lt1 and vintage air

khoult
05-28-2007, 06:00 PM
Does anyone have an lt1 with a vintage air kit in a first generation camaro? If so, please tell me what brackets are needed to make this happen. Also, please post pictures.

ProdigyCustoms
05-28-2007, 06:09 PM
Pro Touring member 130FE has it woirked out. I believe he used a bracket from Street and Performance

Goatman
05-29-2007, 02:26 AM
With Vintage air, you have to use all their stuff. You can't use anyting that's OEM. There is a compnay out there that you an use OEM stuff with, I just can't remember their name...

GeoffP
05-29-2007, 03:18 AM
I called Vintage Air last year when sourcing parts for my LT1 swap in my 68 Camaro. I verified their systems will indeed work with OE compressors. It just cannot be a variable displacement type compressor. I am using a Bower's Rod Shop bracket on my LT1 to mount the 4th gen Camaro compressor up high on the driver's side. It's a little on the expensive side, but it works and looks nice too.

ProdigyCustoms
05-29-2007, 04:31 AM
Geoff is correct. As long as the compressor is not variable (many LS1s) you are fine. I think the problem comes in using the stock compressor location and fitment in the early frame.

Lawrence
05-29-2007, 06:29 AM
I have a 94 impala pulley and compressor on mine, with a notch on the frame to fit it. The outlets on the compressor needed to be moved slightly to clear the headers better but apart from that no issues. I'll get some pictures next week for you if you want, it's currently having it's 4L60-E rebuilt.

130fe
05-29-2007, 10:12 AM
You can also use the corvette brackets and not have to notch the subframe. It puts everything on the drivers side and mounts the compressor high. The bowers bracket also works well. I am swapping over to an aftermarket bracket (S&P) and will have the vette stuff for sale after the PT if interested.

Goatman
05-29-2007, 03:18 PM
Geoff is correct. As long as the compressor is not variable (many LS1s) you are fine. I think the problem comes in using the stock compressor location and fitment in the early frame.

LOL. I guess that's why they told me no! Damn LS1 stuff!