PDA

View Full Version : Making power steering lines?

Samckitt
05-28-2007, 01:50 PM
What hard line, flex line (braided perferably), & fittings are best for power steering lines? Aluminum, steel, stainless & so on?
THanks,
Scot

parsonsj
05-28-2007, 02:56 PM
For hardline, stainless or steel will be fine. You should avoid aluminum.

For braided lines, you need to use teflon lined stuff. A PITA, but it works fine.

jp

Ripper
05-28-2007, 11:22 PM
I drove two seasons with standard ANfittings and braided rubber hoses, then one of the hoses cracked and I switched them for steel fittings and the PTFEhoses.

I wouldn't recommend using the standard fittings since they're approved for 200 PSI and a standard power steering system kan peak 1500-2000 PSI... Go for steel units with the correct lines.
I'm using stainless tubing between the hydrobooster and steering unit.

I_work_for_Barry
05-29-2007, 07:15 PM
I would stay away from hard lines because of the flex of the engine to the steering gear or rack. Also, I always use steel fittings and have never had a problem.

parsonsj
05-29-2007, 08:03 PM
Of course, one would never use hard lines between the engine mounted pump and chassis mounted servo.

However, hard lines between servo and rack are actually a good idea since both are chassis mounted.

jp

chicane67
05-29-2007, 08:38 PM
And a side note...

Stainless braided tends to resonate pump noise and it can get a little annoying. Just listen to a middle 90's Ford... they scream. Just imagine what it would be like with a stainless hose on it.

Samckitt
05-30-2007, 02:50 AM
I was thinking of using hard lines for the majority of the lines, but use some flexible portions near the ends to allow for the flexing.

Blown353
05-30-2007, 11:21 AM
If you don't mind the looks I really like Aeroquip AQP hydraulic hose (also used for truck air brake systems.) The AQP hose dampens pump noise much better than stainless/teflon hose. It's a thick elastomer hose with internal wire braid reinforcement. However it has a braided fabric jacketing over it that often doesn't cosmetically appeal to most people.

http://www.hrpworld.com/index.cfm?form_prod_id=109,24,363_362&action=product

The power steering specific stuff is blue but if you dig through Aeroquip's catalog there is another part number for air brake and power steering use that is the exact same hose (only it carries a DOT rating for airbrakes) and it's black.

It's a piece of cake to assemble, you simply thread the ferrule over the hose then screw the JIC adapter into that. Piece of cake! They make a variety of steel fittings for the stuff.

I used to use the AQP stuff but am now using the teflon/stainless stuff because it came with my Hydroboost. I noticed the increase in pump noise & resonance immediately.