PDA

View Full Version : Longer Wheel Studs - where to find?

Joe_Rocket
12-21-2004, 01:22 PM
Hi,

I am bolting on a set of wheel adapters to mate 4th gen camaro wheels to my first gen camaro. I have been to 4 shops and can't find a longer than stock wheel stud for the front disks. Can anyone please point out a shop I can purchase from?

I've found some part numbers from a few online catalogs, but no discription of size was included.

Currently, I have 7/16RH x 1.5"... I could use something about 2" in length.

I would consider going to a thicker stud as long as I can find both the wide seat lug nuts and that the larger socket will fit in the hole in my wheel adapters.

Thanks

Steve Chryssos
12-21-2004, 01:50 PM
Check out ARP for info and Summit Racing should have them in stock. And yeah--a switch to 1/2-20 wouldn't hurt. You'll need to pull one of your existing wheel studs to get a good idea of the stock length.

www.arp-bolts.com (http://www.arp-bolts.com/pages/products/pages/drive/links/dr_wheelst.html)

George
12-21-2004, 11:54 PM
I would go to a 1/2"-20 as well, I think youll have more choices. I went with 7/16" x 3" Morosso studs from summit (all I could find) and they are very long, I was thinking about running wheel adapters because of how cheap replica Vette wheels are, but I cant becaseu of how long the studs are adn I dont want to cut them down.

dennis68
12-22-2004, 06:25 AM
How about tapping the hub to accept 1/2X20 and using cap screws...Then you can have whatever length you want.

indyjps
12-22-2004, 03:58 PM
ive got those same moroso studs in my rear axles from running slicks on the strip. even tack welded them on the back side. great idea @ the time, huh. been thinking about how to get rid of them. they looked great a couple of years ago with slicks and draglites but the look is gone.

Joe_Rocket
12-24-2004, 01:56 AM
Thanks for the inputs!

I finally found an independent autoparts with a decent selection of Dorman studs. I got some 1/2-20 x 2". They guy at the parts counted measured one of my old studs with a micrometer and matched me up. But maybe they weren't close enough. On the second rotor, a small chip broke out around the stud hole when I was putting them in. Not sure if or how to address that one.

It's so frustrating. I'm sure you've all been there. I spent so many days already trying to find the parts, and put it half together, only to more problems pop up.

At this point I feel like throwing the stock brakes and the adapters out and getting the Touring Classics Hybrid Kit and a new set of rims with the proper offset.

Twin_Turbo
12-24-2004, 02:50 PM
Why not install studs w/ a larger knurl diameter? All you need to do is drill out the holes a tad under the knurl diameter to give it something to bite into.

If you have a mill it's pretty easy to fab up a tool to prositively locate the drill bit to drill out the hole. What you do is, select the proper (maybe milled down) drill bit, then mill out a lenth of round tubing so the drill slides in nicely. Then weld a flat piece of metal on the bottom, mount the tubing in the mill and mill down the flat piece so it's perpendicular w/ the shaft.
Next mill a piece of round stock so it slides snug in the little pipe you made and mill down the tip so it's a snug fit in the old hole in the spindle/brake hub (whatever applies to your car), this is your locating dowel. This allows you to gently tap the dowel into the old hole, slide over the tubing w/ flat foot, clamp the foot down w/ some vise grips, remove the locator dowel and run the drill bit through it. Result: perfectly positioned holes. I installed new studs in all 4 spindles in a matter of an hour or so.

CarlC
12-24-2004, 07:22 PM
If the hub has the stock GM 7/16" stud they can be knocked out and replaced with 1/2"-20. The hole size is close enough to tap without any mods and can be done by hand.

The only limitation to using an internal wrenching socket head cap screw (Allen) is that the longest fully threaded part that I have been able to find is 2". This works fine for most applications. They are available through McMaster Carr.

dennis68
12-24-2004, 10:05 PM
If the hub has the stock GM 7/16" stud they can be knocked out and replaced with 1/2"-20. The hole size is close enough to tap without any mods and can be done by hand.

The only limitation to using an internal wrenching socket head cap screw (Allen) is that the longest fully threaded part that I have been able to find is 2". This works fine for most applications. They are available through McMaster Carr.
Carl, that is exaclty what I did with mine and I found fully threaded 2.5" cap screws at a local supplier.

CarlC
12-26-2004, 01:24 PM
Denny,

Where did you find them, I'd like to get a set.

Thanks.

Carl

USAZR1
12-26-2004, 05:54 PM
I would go to a 1/2"-20 as well, I think youll have more choices. I went with 7/16" x 3" Morosso studs from summit (all I could find) and they are very long, I was thinking about running wheel adapters because of how cheap replica Vette wheels are, but I cant becaseu of how long the studs are adn I dont want to cut them down.
Buy Vette Brakes & Products adapters and you won't need longer wheel studs.

dennis68
12-27-2004, 04:37 PM
My bad Carl. I checked mine today they are only 2". You may want to check with the guys I got these from, they have everything you could imagine and they will go to the shelf and look at something to make sure it is what you want before going down there (can't do that mailorder).

Bowlin Equipment Co
Address: 1107 10th St, Berkeley, CA 94710
Phone: (510) 527-8282