PDA

View Full Version : Front Sub Frame questions

aussiebj
05-26-2007, 01:54 AM
I am about to mount my front sub frame to the camaro but i am up in the air as to which way to go as if i run weld in sub frame connectors what is the advantage of keeping the body bushings ,i won`t be able to remove the sub frame anyway..and if i solidly mount it to the car i can set it up in the car for a lower stance.wouldnt this make the car handle better solidly mounted i mean i am not worried about the ride i want it to carve corners....what do you think and if there are any pics of permantly mounted front sub frames please post them up.....here is a link to my camaro and you can tell its not like i have to remove any metal ......
https://www.pro-touring.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27754&highlight=swiss+cheese

Lowend
05-26-2007, 06:55 AM
I've never seen someone completely remove the subframe bushings from the equation without making other MAJOR changes to the car...
There are thinner lowering subframe bushings out there. But people tend to stay away from them as the already minimal hoodclearance of the car will be further decreased and some goofy body alignment issues start to present.
I would reccomend keeping the using bushings and going to solid units from Global West, DSE or Pro-Touring F-Body

aussiebj
05-26-2007, 04:49 PM
I got an email from the guys that did the Dyno West camaro i know it is a full on race car but they moved the sub frame up into the chassis to achieve a lower ground clerance i am just checking if anyone else has done it and what other mods need to be done...Thanks

HotRod68Camaro
05-27-2007, 01:01 PM
if you decide to do it remember that everything will be sitting higher. You might have hood clearance issure depending on what intake style you are using. You might have problems with the tranny hitting the tunnel. And also the headers hitting the floor pan.

ProdigyCustoms
05-27-2007, 01:27 PM
We have mounted many subframes with no bushings. It provides a nice 1 inch drop without compromising the suspension geometry. Unless you are running a flat hood, or a SUPER tall intake, hood clearance will not be an issue. Project Prodigy has the front frame installed 4 inches above stock, and has a tall intake on the big block, and clears the 2" stinger scoop.

aussiebj
05-27-2007, 05:42 PM
Frank do you still bolt them in or weld them in???? as for hood clearance i might be running a fuel injected motor and i will be running a small cowl hood.....

Lowend
05-27-2007, 08:03 PM
ahem - I'm one of the guys who did the dyno west camaro (the official name is the Gulf Camaro now BTW) ... and yes the frame rail is inside of the body on that car.
It was a massive endevor and the exhaust actually exists out of the PS door because of the lack of ground clearance. Keep in mind that that cars roofline is only 44" off the ground and there is not a single unaltered body panel on that car.
the bulk my my experience is with 2nd gens, and with those you run into some issues with engine fans hitting radiators and hood clearance.