PDA

View Full Version : Filled cowl

parsonsj
08-17-2004, 05:07 PM
Here's a pic of my filled cowl. It turned out nicely, plus I wanted to see the direct attach feature of the new board ...

jp

derekf
08-17-2004, 05:09 PM
More details: What did you do - just cut one big piece and replace the slats, or individual filler pieces in each hole in the grille, or did you just cover it with 16 gallons of bondo?

nancejd
08-17-2004, 05:11 PM
Looks cool John. So when are you starting on the outlaw style wing for the roof? :git:

parsonsj
08-17-2004, 05:37 PM
Sorry. Here are some details: I used 18g 1018 steel, and made 4 separate pieces. I used a brake to make the "reverse" bend and a stretcher to get the slight round of the cowl form. Lots of tack welds, time to cool, small short little welds, more time to cool, some grinding, a little filler (but just a little), sanding, more filler (even less), more sanding, and some paint so it doesn't rust. I didn't have any trouble with warpage. Either I took it slowly enough or the sheetmetal is pretty stressed and supported so heat didn't move it around. In any case, that's an item I check off my list.

Now for hood hinges, and frame and fender notches for tire clearance.
jp

derekf
08-17-2004, 05:45 PM
Sweet.. looks great. Thanks for details.

StRacerDuke
08-17-2004, 08:22 PM
Very nice JP

Did you finish the back side of it off as well? I know you'll never see it but some people still do it.
I just removed the wiper holes on my buddies last week. It turned out nice after I painted it Sunday. It's amazing how it can look stock unless you know something is missing...

colt zantop
08-18-2004, 10:40 AM
thats gonna look sweeet. small details like that is what makes the finished car look so sweeet. keep us updated!

colt45

parsonsj
08-18-2004, 11:10 AM
No, I didn't finish the backside. I can't. On Chevy IIs before '68, the cowl is spot-welded to the dash and firewall. It isn't removable like Camaros and later model Novas.

jp

StRacerDuke
08-18-2004, 12:23 PM
Oh yea!

I should have known that being that I just did a 67 on a rotissorie about 5 months ago. :pat:
LOL, G's I'm out of it sometimes.