PDA

View Full Version : SBC Locking Oil Dipstick, anyone know?

jpdeuce
05-24-2007, 09:11 AM
I am in dire need of some type of locking engine oil dipstick for a pre 79' small block chevy. Everytime I get in the throttle it pushes it out just enough to send oil everywhere.

Does anyone know where I might can get something like this? I need one ASAP. Thanks guys.

6'9"Witha69
05-24-2007, 09:15 AM
Is it possible the rotating assembly is hiiting it? Do you have any sort of vacuum or crank ventilation? It should not be pushing without there being signs of a bigger issue.

jpdeuce
05-24-2007, 05:43 PM
The rotating assembly was touching the stick but I took another and made a stubby just for capping purposes. There is no PVC however there is a breather cap in each valve cover.

This is a fairly fresh motor and there dosen't appear to be any blowby out the breather tubes at all. Usually that is pretty evident from the visual oil vapor.

It doesn't actually push/vibrate the stick way out, only about a 1/4" or less. Just enough to let some oil leak by the rubber seal.

Any more suggestions?

TonyL
05-24-2007, 05:56 PM
the easiest and best fix is to get a pcv valve hooked up. It'll solve your problem.

You could use something to swedge down the size of your dipstick tube so it bites on the dipstick and is more resistant to pressure, but until you do something about the pressure in there, nothing will make it "lock" on that I know of.

You could also use a trick I saw once, put a decent bead of high temp RTV on the handle end, stick it in the tube (off the car) and let it set up in there. Pull it out and you have a fitted "cork" end on your dipstick now.

MonzaRacer
05-27-2007, 06:13 PM
Add a PCV valve. Trust me you need one and if it doesnt get one soon and you lock the dipstick it will blow oil out your rear main instead.
They dont build these with PCV valves for nothing.Hech the only reasona roaddraft tube worked was because it was so large.
also you may see a little better mileage.