PDA

View Full Version : Car low on RH side – options?

BonzoHansen
05-23-2007, 07:00 AM
OK, here is my dilemma. I got my 77 Z28 back on its feet, actually drove it around the streets a bit last night (fun with no hood). The car feels much tighter then before. Setup:

Hotchkis TVS springs (rear sway not in yet)
Herb Adams mod to the leaf perches
SPC upper arms, 4” hex sleeves
Stock LCA, GW bushings
Howe tall LBJ (stock moog UBJ)
B-Body spindles, 12” 1LE rotors
Alston SFC, GW mounts

Here are the ride height measurements (from center of fender lip):
LF: 27” … RF: 26”
LR: 26 ½” … RR: 26”

Now, the car had the RH sag before I did this, but I hoped/thought the old springs were the primary culprit. No dice. I can live with the ½” difference in the back, but the difference in the front is noticeable. Plus the RF wheel has some serious negative camber and I am out of adjustment room on the arm (guess I need the 5” sleeves-got to call Marcus later today). At this point, I am making the grand assumption the frame is tweaked. There is evidence of prior damage to some of the sheet metal. I believe the SF is back on correctly. The front sheet metal is straighter now then before I took it off. For now I am discounting a bent spindle since I had this issue before and have changed the spindles during this overhaul.

I’d like to bring the RH side up – damn thing is pretty low now. I was thinking some kind of spring cushion/seat/shim/adjuster for the RF. But 1” is a bunch, and I’m not sure the impact on spring rate from side to side, etc, if I try to shim it (or cut the LF). Maybe these?
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

I’m looking for opinions on correcting the issue. Should I bite the bullet and take it to have the frame checked? What does that run?

6'9"Witha69
05-23-2007, 08:23 AM
If you are sure the springs are seated properly in the pockets then a trip to the frame shop is in order. Do you have room to get the car level and take measurements from various points on the frame side to side? This will help tell the true story of whether the frame shop is really needed.

BonzoHansen
05-23-2007, 10:14 AM
I checked the spring seating when I did it, so I think so. Plus it sits low. If the uppers were off, I’d expect it to sit high if I had one in wrong. The ‘high’ side really sits perfect. I know the bottom of the springs is in between the inspection holes, as specified.

Where would I measure? Frame to floor?

Damn True
05-23-2007, 10:24 AM
Is the rubber bumper still in the LCA?

BonzoHansen
05-23-2007, 10:26 AM
Yes, well, the poly one from the TVS kit.