PDA

View Full Version : LS(X) 1st gen Camaro/Nova Road Race Oil Pan

CarlC
12-20-2004, 06:04 PM
For those of you that have done the LS(X) swap into a 1st gen Camaro using the stock steering linkage, what did you use for an oil pan?

My concern, after dealing with oil control problems on the track, is that a stock pan modified to fit the 1st gen steering linkage may not cut it on a road coarse.

Is there enough room to modify the stock pan with kickouts and baffles? Any pics of the oil pan area with the engine installed would be very helpful.

Thanks.

Ralph LoGrasso
12-20-2004, 06:13 PM
Hey Carl,

This is a problem for me as well. Here's the best I was able to come up with as solutions:

I asked what the 4th camaro guys on Ls1tech.com were running for oil pans, as there is no aftermarket pan available (at that time atleast). A few of them told me they run the C5 pan and run 7qts of oil and it's fine at the track. I'm pretty sure the C5 pan clears on a first gen subframe as well.

My second solution was to have RFR Custom Fab baffle the stock Camaro pan after it was notched for clearance, but since it's cast, it's making the job more difficult. From what Matt told me (I hope I didn't misunderstand him) welding cast is a messy job, and the pan would not come out that great(asthetically).

Option three for me is to just have Matt make me a brand new pan from scratch, but that's going to be a lot of hours, and $$.

I'm still not really sure what I'm going to do, but I'm leaning towards option three, even though my wallet isn't.

Matt@RFR
12-20-2004, 06:27 PM
Cast aluminum is funny stuff. A brand new replacement pan might weld like crap, and a used one that's been degreased might weld nicely. :)

TitoJones
12-20-2004, 06:30 PM
Carl-

Got you covered. Details to come.

Tyler

chicane67
12-21-2004, 12:16 AM
I knew it would only be a matter of time that someone would ask that question.........

And for some reason, I knew it was gonna be before we released the information.

At least it was Carl.......... I love to spend his money. :moon:

BTW Carl, you have mail.

CarlC
12-21-2004, 09:25 AM
Got it. Much gras.

Salt Racer
12-21-2004, 09:41 AM
Hmmm, so you're swapping in an LSx engine, huh? That just shattered my dream of getting within a few seconds of your lap time at the next event. Dang.

But I'm happy for you! :icon996:

EDIT: spelling, and additional thought.

MarkM66
12-21-2004, 11:03 AM
Carl, sell me your old set up, :) .

ballistic69
12-21-2004, 11:40 AM
For those of you that have done the LS(X) swap into a 1st gen Camaro using the stock steering linkage, what did you use for an oil pan?

My concern, after dealing with oil control problems on the track, is that a stock pan modified to fit the 1st gen steering linkage may not cut it on a road coarse.

Is there enough room to modify the stock pan with kickouts and baffles? Any pics of the oil pan area with the engine installed would be very helpful.

Thanks.

I went with Cantons baffled aluminum pan on my LS1

CarlC
12-21-2004, 09:26 PM
Just a lot of thinking and pondering right now. Maybe in the future, if the right deal on an LS2 or 7 liter six speed came along.

Salt Racer
12-22-2004, 07:32 AM
Anybody have a pic of Corvette LS2 oil pan? Not sure if it has enough clearance for the drag link, but I heard that GM engineers managed to eliminate side kickouts w/o adversely affecting the performance.

parsonsj
12-28-2004, 07:06 AM
The boys at Wegner Automotive Research have a dry-sump style pan that would work, assuming you wanted to be that radical. It's probably similar to what Canton offers.

jp