PDA

View Full Version : Rethinking My Pro-Touring Cougar

FoxGranadaChuck
05-22-2007, 05:58 PM
Due to some issues that I have discovered concerning the fuel tank issue, I am having to rethink major portions of my Cougar project. OK, so what relevance does the fuel tank have?! A LOT!!!

Unlike a Fox-body Mustang, the fuel sender/pump unit is offset to the right. The Mustang's in in the center. So, why not just adapt a Mustang sending unit to the Cougar. It's not quite that simple. In order to run a Mustang-type sender unit, I would have to do MAJOR surgery to the trunk floorpan! I would have to sacrifice trunk space in order to have the convenience of using Mustang fuel system parts.

This issue also involves the use of both dual exhaust and a Panhard rod. It looks as though that I will have to have the exhaust exit just before the rear axle.

Man, it's a good thing that I discovered this before I actually got to work on the Cougar again!!!

bobbaganoosh
05-24-2007, 09:06 AM
Why are you wanting to use a Mustang tank? Was your carbed or something? Could you use a tank from an efi car but the same chassis like an LTD lx. Just curious, there's not too many fox cars on here!

Aaron

FoxGranadaChuck
05-24-2007, 01:15 PM
Why are you wanting to use a Mustang tank? Was your carbed or something? Could you use a tank from an efi car but the same chassis like an LTD lx. Just curious, there's not too many fox cars on here!

Aaron

I was wanting to use Mustang fuel tank parts for the sake of simplicity. It would have been cool to be able to use Mustang fuel system parts and be done with it. Unfortunately, a conversion to SEFI requires that an in-tank electric fuel pump for a 1993-96 Camaro LT-1 be custom adapted to the integral fuel sending unit/fuel hanger.

LMDGUY
05-24-2007, 02:39 PM
Why not just use a external fuel pump?? I ran a F150 frame mount pump on my 66 EFI mustang that work great.

FoxGranadaChuck
05-24-2007, 05:53 PM
Why not just use a external fuel pump?? I ran a F150 frame mount pump on my 66 EFI mustang that work great.

Much too noisy.

LMDGUY
05-24-2007, 08:30 PM
Much too noisy.

With the F-cam, 800watt sound system, the fuel pump was the least noisey thing on the car..

FoxGranadaChuck
05-25-2007, 04:07 AM
With the F-cam, 800watt sound system, the fuel pump was the least noisey thing on the car..

I would not want a sound system quite that loud.

CraigMBA
05-25-2007, 08:23 AM
The F-150 pump is rubber isolated and very quiet. I used to have one (an F-150) and you couldn't hear the fuel pump over the powersteering pump noise.

LMDGUY
05-25-2007, 10:37 AM
The F-150 pump is rubber isolated and very quiet. I used to have one (an F-150) and you couldn't hear the fuel pump over the powersteering pump noise.

:lol: