PDA

View Full Version : BEST way to ship rims and tires??

colt zantop
12-20-2004, 03:16 PM
hey everyone, has anyone ever shipped rims and tires together? I sold mine so Im about to ship this week or next and was wanting to know some tips on whats the best way to ship them still mounted?? any input would be great! thanks!

Air Daddy
12-20-2004, 04:07 PM
We always use two thick pieces of cardboard cut to the size of the O.D. of the tire, (a tire sandwich) then rap clear packing tape around the entire thing.
Use lots of tape. UPS will pick them up this way.

colt zantop
12-20-2004, 04:12 PM
thanks! I was gonna do something like that but box the whole thing in. that sounds easier! I still might box them all the way around to protect tires. thanks for the quick reply!

trapin
12-21-2004, 07:08 AM
Colt...build a box for them. Did you sell them on e-Bay?

People are tempermental. You don't wanna tick some guy off and risk your feedback rating. Better to be safe than sorry. My $.02 anyway.

You might wanna drop Scott Gulbranson a line over at Lateral-G.net. I know that he sold his rims and tires last year, athough I'm not sure if he sold them locally or had to ship them. Give him a try, what can it hurt?

MuscleRodz
12-21-2004, 08:27 AM
I did just what Airdaddy did. Heavy piece of cardboard on each side of the wheel and shrink wrapped them. Amazingly, it did not cost a whole lot more than just a tire or wheel.

Mike

Milow68
12-21-2004, 08:36 AM
Tony- Scott Gulbranson did ship his, to me! Over the state line. He took cardboard and cut out circles (little bigger than 17" for mine) sandwiched both sides and then shrink wrapped them for most have been an hour a piece :worship: they arrived perfect Kudos to Scott again for the great pieces.
Brad :drive1:

Smoke'm
12-21-2004, 08:55 AM
I have shipped a few sets...do the sandwich thing then cut a strip the width of the tire and cover the tire and wrap with tape..#1 the shippers require they be fully covered and not by tape...you guys were lucky and not sent home to fix them..#2 most sets sell for a few bucks and I dont want the tired getting nicked on the way to the new owner...last tip the last set I bought the guy took and cut thin panelling and used that for the flat pieces to protect the polished wheels... instead of cardboard and to be honest I think they weigh less than the heavy duty cardboard a guy would use anyway...last tip Fed Ex has Killer rates going right now..I sent a complete back east for 120.00 and my new wheels made it out here for like 100.00...pretty fair.

trapin
12-21-2004, 09:26 AM
Brad...did he send them individually or did he wrap each one and then wrap the whole set together? How would the set be handled? How would you get the forklift under it?