PDA

View Full Version : Another 'cage/'bar question

GetMore
05-18-2007, 04:16 PM
I am thinking about having a roll cage built for my car, a 1978 Camaro. I don't really need it, and a roll bar may be sufficient, but I figure if I go partway I might as well go the rest of the way.
What I want is something that is tucked up nice and tight to the body, as close to invisible as possible. Obviously some parts have to show, but I can accept that.
I "need" it for safety and to tighten up the car.

Here's the $64,000 question: Where should I go for this? I'm located in eastern New York, about an hour north of NYC, almost on the CT border. I'm willing to transport the car a good distance to get it to a good shop-as long as I can get there and back in a day. That covers ME, VT, NH, RI, MA, CT, NY, NJ, DE, MD, PA, VA.
Where will I find a shop that can do a quality job for a decent price?

What kind of price should I prepare for?

I did talk to a local shop and I was told to buy a kit, and then they'd tweak it and weld it in. Their price was $100 "per point." So after I supplied them with the material (they like Chris Alston's Chassisworks' cages) it was going to cost me $1,000 to have the 10 point cage welded in. The cage, with shipping was going to cost me more than $500.

GetMore
05-18-2007, 04:19 PM
I also wanted to mention that if G-Machine wasn't located on the wrong coast I wouldn't have to ask this question.

Damn True
05-18-2007, 05:40 PM
Steve-O should be able to make a recomendation.

jason@gmachine
05-18-2007, 06:07 PM
I also wanted to mention that if G-Machine wasn't located on the wrong coast I wouldn't have to ask this question.

Thank you, I do get this quite often. Several people I have talked to are looking for a builder on the east coast because we are on the west. I do not know a shop out there but you can always send it this way. It will just take longer because of travel time and last time I checked some shipping companies were charging $800 to ship. I could be wrong now because gas is rising. Otherwise, I need to find a shop I can send people to that does quality work. If you want something that tucks nicely then the kit cages are out of the question. Only a skilled race fabricator will be able to meet this demand and keep it safe.

Thanks for the comment!

Jason

NOT A TA
05-18-2007, 09:07 PM
I gave my Malibu to a guy named Ralph in Fairfield CT To have a Jegs kit modified and installed as part of a trade deal. Haven't seen my car since last year ! Obviously he already recieved his part of the "trade" so theres no rush on his part. If anyone sends ya his way be carefull.

I'd asked around southwestern CT and didn't find much in the way of professionals with experience that actually made stuff that fits well,looks good, AND most importantly is safe. I need a cage installed in my Firebird and I had the Malibu done as a "test". So far the test is a bust!

I did run into some framebuilders at an ECTA event in NC that were from the MD/DE areas that might be able to do your project. Cages are required over 135MPH there so a lot of people that run there need work done. Perhaps you could shoot them an E-mail asking who builds for their members.

NOT A TA
05-18-2007, 09:10 PM
Perhaps we can have Jasons equipment shipped out and buy him a plane ticket for a New England working vacation !!!

John

GetMore
05-19-2007, 03:17 AM
Jason, how much do you think your shop would charge for a job like this?
Actually, there are a couple of options I'd probably go for. I'd do that removable rear bar, and perhaps have the side tubes bent in such a way that they would give some extra clearance for entry/exit. By the side tubes I mean the ones that run alongside the driver and passenger.

jason@gmachine
05-19-2007, 06:38 PM
Perhaps we can have Jasons equipment shipped out and buy him a plane ticket for a New England working vacation !!!

John

hmmmmm, Business Trip!

lets see, benders, notchers, compressor, cleaning tools, Cad computer, digital tools (trade secret), welders, grinder, and safety equiptment. Um, it wont be cheap, lol.

Thanks for the comment!

Jason

jason@gmachine
05-19-2007, 10:09 PM
Jason, how much do you think your shop would charge for a job like this?
Actually, there are a couple of options I'd probably go for. I'd do that removable rear bar, and perhaps have the side tubes bent in such a way that they would give some extra clearance for entry/exit. By the side tubes I mean the ones that run alongside the driver and passenger.

sent PM.

Jason

ProBell
05-21-2007, 03:14 AM
I had Rick at Northern Fabrication out of Canton CT do my cage and suspension. He custom bends all his cages so they fit the car perfectly and can be built to your specks. I am very happy with all the work he did for me. His # is 1-860-693-0635 Randy

NOT A TA
05-21-2007, 03:47 PM
Thanks Randy I'll call them in a couple weeks and check out the shop.
John

GetMore
05-21-2007, 04:02 PM
thanks!

Marktat
05-23-2007, 03:38 AM
Moroso/Competition Engineering. They are in CT and do very nice work.

Steve Chryssos
05-23-2007, 05:28 AM
I highly recommend Jake Parrott at Jake's Rod Shop. He is in Maine and we are in NY. That shows you how much we trust his work. We have a car there now getting a quadra-link and some custom headers.

207-647-3089

67speedfreak
05-27-2007, 02:09 PM
I am thinking about having a roll cage built for my car, a 1978 Camaro. I don't really need it, and a roll bar may be sufficient, but I figure if I go partway I might as well go the rest of the way.
What I want is something that is tucked up nice and tight to the body, as close to invisible as possible. Obviously some parts have to show, but I can accept that.
I "need" it for safety and to tighten up the car.

Here's the $64,000 question: Where should I go for this? I'm located in eastern New York, about an hour north of NYC, almost on the CT border. I'm willing to transport the car a good distance to get it to a good shop-as long as I can get there and back in a day. That covers ME, VT, NH, RI, MA, CT, NY, NJ, DE, MD, PA, VA.
Where will I find a shop that can do a quality job for a decent price?

What kind of price should I prepare for?

I did talk to a local shop and I was told to buy a kit, and then they'd tweak it and weld it in. Their price was $100 "per point." So after I supplied them with the material (they like Chris Alston's Chassisworks' cages) it was going to cost me $1,000 to have the 10 point cage welded in. The cage, with shipping was going to cost me more than $500.

I would not advise using a kit cage. They typiclly don't fit that tight.
You need a custom bent cage. Too bad your not closer to FL, we could hook you up nicely. All my cages are custom bent.

Good luck, let me know if I can be of service.

Brian, @Screamin Performance

67speedfreak
05-27-2007, 03:23 PM
Here are a couple shots of a 74 Camaro I just did.
Could be modified for more of a street application.

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2007/05/IMG_1042-1.jpg

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2007/05/IMG_1043-1.jpg

67speedfreak
05-27-2007, 03:27 PM
One more.

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2007/05/IMG_1045-1.jpg

GetMore
03-06-2008, 06:54 PM
Resurrecting an old post: How about places out toward Missouri, like Ohio? My boss goes out there from time to time, I could probably talk him into taking the car.
Anyone found any good places around New York?

I still haven't called anyone yet, but it's getting about time.

NOT A TA
03-06-2008, 07:37 PM
JW Racing in Seymour Ct

hotrdblder
03-06-2008, 07:58 PM
give me a call, i would be more then happy to talk it over with you, i just finished putting a 8 point cage in vinnys car, here is a pic or two, call me from 8 am to 10 pm
thanks
jake
207-595-0677
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2008/02/IMG_0621-1.jpg
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2008/03/IMG_0622-1.jpg
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2008/02/IMG_0627-1.jpg
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2008/02/IMG_0631-1.jpg

bbnova
03-07-2008, 10:13 AM
I will put in my reccomendation, Markow Race Cars in New Britain, CT.

He posts on here under the name Quadfather. Top quality work and a nice guy to boot!