PDA

View Full Version : Which lowering springs for my 79 TA?

4birdman
05-18-2007, 06:37 AM
I am trying to get the right stance on my car and I'm having a heck of a time. Help me out here, please! I don't know whether I want the Hotchkis, Eibach, Intrax, Susp. Tech, or some other spring for the front. All I really know of is the Hotchkis rear leaf springs for lowering. Is that good, or can I take a leaf out, or maybe some other brand?

Cost is definitely a concern, I've got other projects and a 3 month old son, so I want a good afford able drop, about 2" on the car.

Car is a built 400 Pontiac with a built Super T-10. Battery is relocated to the trunk, heater and air conditioning and all related junk has been removed. Car also has an aluminum bumper support in the front in place of the heavy steel one. No stereo or anything else, just the bare bones necessities.

What do you guys recommend?

MonzaRacer
05-18-2007, 08:22 PM
Give Air ride Technologies a call see if they have an air bar suspension and cool ride for it ready.
The ART stuff really rocks and you wont believe how good it will corner.
www.ridetech.com

Ripper
05-21-2007, 02:09 AM
I'm using these parts from speedway motors. This is the easiest way to set ride height in the front with a stock chassis. Forget about air ride etc and get a pair of the spring adjusters and a pair of correct springs (I think the Hotchkis front springs are 650lbs/in but speedway has alot of different choices).

Adjusters;
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/p/3389,154_Adjustable-Hidden-Spring-Shim-Extended.html

Springs;
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/p/169,154_Tru-Coil-Trademark-Front-Racing-Springs-5-1and2andquot;-x-9-1and2andquot;.html

4birdman
05-21-2007, 03:55 AM
No air-ride on this car. I love the system, but the cost is a no go for me. I'm knee deep in collecting parts for my 6-spd/head/cam swap on my 98 TA and also trying to get this car back on the road.

Ripper, that system really does look interesting. How does it work? The spring adjuster goes in the top spring pocket, or what?

Ripper
05-21-2007, 04:00 AM
Yes, it goes in the top spring pocket. I've been using them for three years now. Gone through 650, 900 and 1150 lbs/in springs (running 1150 right now) and it's very good to work with. I still havent found out a way to adjust the springs when the things are mounted, so the downside is that you have to take apart the suspension if you want to raise it or lower it.

It's some work with it, but it's much easier to tune the height than cutting your springs.

4birdman
05-21-2007, 04:57 AM
And cheap too! I think I may do this. It looks like a pretty trick setup, I bet not many people have it.

What are you running as far as the rear suspension?