PDA

View Full Version : Which Subframe Connector to use?

dendrizzi
05-17-2007, 04:51 AM
I'm trying to figure out which brand of subframe connector to use.. Hotchkis, Global west or DSE? Are there any other brand worth considering?

wendell
05-17-2007, 06:36 AM
If you've got the tools/skills, $100 and a weekend, CarlC's subframe connectors can't be beat. Plus I'm a huge fan of building stuff over buying stuff. Check out his site, it's got plenty of pics of the install.

6'9"Witha69
05-17-2007, 07:45 AM
If surgery on the floorpan is not desired, Global West all the way.

wendell
05-17-2007, 12:16 PM
Sorry I left the detail out. I guess it's a big one. Still, any non surgical design is going to offer only marginal utility.

1FstChevy
05-23-2007, 04:23 PM
I've heard that the Alston's are the best @ http://www.pro-touringf-body.com/chassis_components.html but then again I'm still looking into getting a set myself?

I have a question also.... When installing SFCs are Polyurethane body bushings the best choice!? I've read that Rubber allows too much flex, beside the fact that I'm still riding on my factory set which is long since shot... and clearly the solid Aluminum bushings would cause for horrible ride quality on the street, and I've heard that the Aluminum bushings can be really harsh on the body and so forth, so how many people here would agree that the Polyurethane are the best way to go???

79T/Aman
05-23-2007, 05:11 PM
well I have never heard that solid body bushings will cause a horrible ride and or harsh on the body.
Here are the facts, many yearly unybody cars had bolt on front frames such as f and X bodies and used rubber body bushings to "isolate" the frame from the body and kept cost down but if you look at any other unybody car from Ford or Chrysler of those days and modern cars the frame is in fact welded to the body with the inner fenders also welded to the body this greatly reduces the flex that cause rattles and other unwanted things, so if the frame connectors are to be bolted and the car is mildly built you can use poly bushings but if someone is in need of new bushings and is going to install connectors you may as well put in the solids and be done with it.

1FstChevy
05-23-2007, 05:56 PM
Well... perhaps "Horrible" is a poor choice of words regarding ride quality... I suppose it depends from what standpoint your looking at it from, I can see how Aluminum bushings would increase your handling but wouldn't it be at least somewhat more of a "rougher" ride over Poly bushings which still give some flex???

I also intend on welding in whichever SFCs i decide on since I've spoken with a few F-body buddies who said they started out with bolt-ins and they made little difference. Then again one of them had to cut their floorpan for the SFCs they installed which made me also wonder if thats a significant difference over welded-in SFCs that contour slightly to the floorpan?

Thanks for anyones input on this....

79T/Aman
05-24-2007, 05:13 AM
the only thing you may find is some noise or vibration transmission but nothing excessive or any worse than a 4th gen f-bodies remember that installing sound deadener is part of acquiring the level of comfort you seek, modern cars have been made more rigid but also have been much better insulated, it's all part of pro-touring.

Lowend
05-25-2007, 03:38 PM
If anything I have found that solid subframe bushings improve overall ride quality... can't give you a scientific reason, but I attribute this to movement being forced through the springs and shocks where it is damped.

If you don't want to cut up the floorpan (and I wouldn't blame you) than use the Global West SFC's, they fit great and are top quality. Use alumimum or solid subframe bushings at the same time

72NovaSS
05-26-2007, 03:00 AM
check these (http://www.21stcenturystreetmachines.com/products.php?item=subframe_connectors) out...