PDA

View Full Version : 69 Nova Front Brakes

novaman_69
05-14-2007, 08:11 PM
I am trying to figure out if a 1969 Nova could have came from the factory with front power DRUM brakes with the brake booster and everything???

dhardison
05-15-2007, 03:54 AM
Yes, Nova's in 1969 were available with 4-wheel power drum brakes. However, all 1969-71 Nova "Super Sports" came from the facotry with power front disc brakes.

That being said, I read in another of your posts that your '69 was a former drag car. It's not uncommon for drag racers to swap front discs for drums brakes. They're sometimes lighter and due to the increased pad/surface area work better in a drag racing environment. Plus you can adjust drum brakes for zero drag.

novaman_69
05-15-2007, 05:36 AM
From my research I came up with the same thing. Thanks again Dan, I just wanted to solidify that. And that is what I figured with the drum brakes. The ones on my Nova looked like they were from a different time simply because of the wear on the spindles, and everything else pointed towards power disc brakes (The booster, the disc brakes emblem on the brake pedal). I figured it was a dragging thing that made them change the originals out. I knew that SuperSports only had disc brakes, and mine is def. a SuperSport being a BB car. (BB radiator support, 396 emblems on fenders, BB heater box, BB frame engine mounts, 3/8" fuel lines, the 12-bolt rear, etc.).