PDA

View Full Version : Super RARE 1979 Malibu...thoughts on a resto...

gmachinz
05-14-2007, 08:10 PM
I just acquired a 1979 Malibu mainly because I'm into G-bodies...(okay, it's an "A" body but you get the point...) and it is loaded with options very few left the factory with so I wonder if I should restore instead of modify just to keep a historical perspective on it. It's a 305/4-barrel, 4-speed manual, AC, cruise, tach/gauges, pw, pl, rear defrost, buckets, console, F41 susp., posi, pulse wiper switch, tilt, remote trunk release and a few other things make it really unique that only other G-body owners know about like a factory aluminum radiator support and it still wears its original aluminum rear drums. It is supposed to be a triple black car as well-black interior, black exterior with a full black vinyl top. Thoughts? I would really like to find out production numbers.

vintageracer
05-15-2007, 01:37 PM
I would restore/modify to my tastes with bolt on parts. I would retain the 305 if it is still original and maybe bolt in a 5 speed to make it drive better. Add a set of wheels and remove the vinyl top if it has one. Add a cowl hood and call it good. Paint both the aftermarket cowl hood and the original hood at the same time you paint the car if you paint the car so they both will match and call it good. That way you can always bolt the original hood back on the car and it will match. You will not hurt the car upgrading the suspension and brakes with poly pieces and better brakes. 4 wheel disc will not hurt the value. The original brakes needed help when they were new.

Since it has all the factory interior upgrades I would leave it stock and restore it. You could bolt in better seats but I would not cut it up inside the car. Hid an aftermarket radio or install without cutting the dash.

While this car is certainly rare, it may still not be that desirable stock in the future. If it does become valuable you can cetainly return it to stock since your modifications are bolt on.

Yes, I know you may want LOTS of performance however a 305 with a 5 speed and a good rear gear change that is also bolt in, the car will be fun to drive, handle good and you have not ruined the uniqueness and rarity of the car.

Samckitt
05-15-2007, 01:41 PM
I would build it the way I wanted it. LTx/LSx & T56 with bigger brakes up front & discs out back with some 17X9.5 rear & 17x8 up front. But keep the original motor & trans. And add the cowl hood. Yes it is rare, but I doubt that it is worth much more with those options than one without.

Steve68
05-16-2007, 04:41 AM
Ah one day though.... I would do what Mike said,

My friend restored a 68 SS Camaro, another friend bought it cheap in the 80 so it's a real SS, it been restored for 8-10 years, now returning as a Bracket car, each piece is being removed and stored for return to original, good idea,

Tony_SS
05-17-2007, 10:00 AM
I would build it the way I wanted it. LTx/LSx & T56 with bigger brakes up front & discs out back with some 17X9.5 rear & 17x8 up front. But keep the original motor & trans. And add the cowl hood. Yes it is rare, but I doubt that it is worth much more with those options than one without.

I agree.. It's rare but it'll never be a high dollar collectable like a 60's muscle car. Build it the way you like and set the factory equip off to the side to install at a later date if desired. The A/G bodies are too fun and have a lot of potential.. too much to be ignored or to put up with putting around in it's factory condition.

ad53030
05-18-2007, 03:21 PM
I say... nasty fuel injected small block - any generation, take advantage of the factory pedals and go 6 speed, either build up the 10 bolt or replace with a 12 bolt or 9 inch, cowl hood, tasteful 18's, dark windows, no badges, and a bad attitude.
Late 70's Malibus can be very sweet cars.

Steve68
05-18-2007, 06:35 PM
I've ridden in Bills! what a fun car,

malihoochie
05-22-2007, 12:55 PM
:yeah: Sounds like a great car to start out with!
I'd basically follow Vintageracers advice & enjoy.

gmachinz
05-23-2007, 08:39 PM
Well, I talked with a guy tonight who I've known for awhile and he also has a 1979 Malibu 4 speed car. It doesn't have quite all the options mine has but, he did a basic restoration on his and it is appraised/insured for 35K. The appraisor was well aware of its rarity and I am feeling more towards a resto just because I do have a rust free Regal I can build for myself also. I just finished gathering all very nice grey interior stuff for the Regal since I can't find nice tan interior panels and this car is a factory astroroof car with a crap load of options also! The really rare g-body cars are starting to get some attention it would seem, at least the 4-speed ones. Thanks for the tips guys, I think this Malibu will be a time capsule but I will be enjoying it too!

Duesey2
07-07-2007, 05:00 PM
His appraiser must of been a buddy. That seems pretty salty for anything from the late 70's. That era cutlass and buicks were popular when I was in HS. They were 12 year old cars back then but all that a kid could afford. Maybe it's me but they are and will always be mullett wagons to this child of the 80's.

tomspo04
08-06-2007, 10:27 PM
Well, I talked with a guy tonight who I've known for awhile and he also has a 1979 Malibu 4 speed car. It doesn't have quite all the options mine has but, he did a basic restoration on his and it is appraised/insured for 35K. The appraisor was well aware of its rarity and I am feeling more towards a resto just because I do have a rust free Regal I can build for myself also. I just finished gathering all very nice grey interior stuff for the Regal since I can't find nice tan interior panels and this car is a factory astroroof car with a crap load of options also! The really rare g-body cars are starting to get some attention it would seem, at least the 4-speed ones. Thanks for the tips guys, I think this Malibu will be a time capsule but I will be enjoying it too!

I agree...restore it. Sounds like a cool car!

CRCRFT78
08-10-2007, 08:58 AM
Keep it simple and fun. Anything bolt on would be good just keep all the original equipment. This wouldn't happen to be the one that was on Ebay not too long ago would it? Let me know if you consider selling it, I wouldn't mind a 4 speed Malibu. Keep us posted on what you do with it.

gmachinz
08-13-2007, 01:59 PM
Yeah, it was on there about 8 months ago or so. A guy local bought it from MN. and it changed hands twice before a guy who knows me got it for me when he knew I was looking for it. I just wanted to find the buyer because I deal with a lot of rare options for those years and I knew he needed a few things-I just had never seen one before and the production numbers as I understand it are 1401 total 4-speed V8 cars out of a run of 169K + units for 1979. Break it down by options, and I put this one in about 1 of 20 or so equipped as it is. The only two options it does not have is a sunroof or the dome delay feature. I did pull the gas tank and found only a corner of a build sheet-I hope there are others in the car somewhere. I'll most likely keep this one. But everybody says that....lol. Being triple black, it'd be hard to let loose of though.

gmachinz
08-13-2007, 02:03 PM
mullett wagons

It's a 2-door coupe. ???