PDA

View Full Version : Braided Stainless Alternatives

dhardison
05-14-2007, 04:45 AM
I'm using approximately 6 total feet of Russell braided stainless steel hose under the hood of my Nova and the fuel permeation is HORRIBLE. After driving it takes ~2 weeks of not running the engine before the fuel permeation smell is gone. I've checked for leaks and there are none. You can literally put your nose up to any part of the braided hose and it smells like you're sticking your nose in a can of gas. The smell in my garage is unbearable (although it does keep the wife/kids out of the garage)

Since purchasing/installing everything I've heard that Russell brand hose is the worst for fuel permeation. I love the look of braided stainless line, but I need to replace it with something different.

What alternatives do I have? I'd like to keep some sort of flexible hose without using standard rubber line. I'd prefer not to go with telflon lined braided hose, due to the fact that I'd have to replace all my fittings.

Has anyone used the braided nylon products from Earl's/Russell/Aeroquip? If so, can I used my exisiting AN fittings with that type hose?

Any alternatives/suggestions would be appreciated.

Rick Dorion
05-14-2007, 06:02 AM
I use the aeroquip socketless hose with good results, Dan.

dhardison
05-14-2007, 06:19 AM
Thanks Rick. Which of these styles do you use?

http://www.hosexpress.com/hose/socketless/socketlesshose.htm

dhardison
05-14-2007, 06:20 AM
Also, do you have to purchase the assembly tool(s) shown at the bottom of this page or is it just a "push-on" type hose?

http://www.hosexpress.com/hose/socketless/FHKit.htm

parsonsj
05-14-2007, 06:21 AM
I'm in Dan's camp. My Russell stuff has got to go. Good thing I don't smoke, or my garage would be nothing more than hot cinders ...

jp

parsonsj
05-14-2007, 06:24 AM
Here's a tip for the push-in Aeroquip hose:

1. Put the fitting in the freezer.
2. Heat the hose in the oven at 250 degrees.
3. Wait 20 minutes.
4. Assemble quickly.

Works great; you can push the hose all the way down to the "end shoulder" with minimal effort. I've been using it for my compressor lines in my shop. It holds 175 psi for months without problems.

jp

dhardison
05-14-2007, 06:26 AM
I'm in Dan's camp. My Russell stuff has got to go. Good thing I don't smoke, or my garage would be nothing more than hot cinders ...

jpSometimes I'm seriously afraid to engage the garage door opener for fear of spark. My garage is attached, so that would not be a good combination.............

dhardison
05-14-2007, 06:28 AM
Here's a tip for the push-in Aeroquip hose:

jpExcellent, thanks John! I've seen the socketless hose in blue, but do they offer the same stuff in black? Any vendor suggestions for the hose/fittings?

2. Heat the hose in the oven at 250 degrees.

My wife's gonna love that!

parsonsj
05-14-2007, 06:42 AM
I have socketless hose in both blue and black. I don't know why the color was different ... I think it was the same vendor.

The oven trick does get a bit "stinky" (in wife talk). Best to do it while she's out somewhere. :)

jp

CarlC
05-14-2007, 07:40 AM
Aeroquip teflon.

Magntik
05-14-2007, 08:29 AM
I went from the blue to the black and Mr. Gaskets Shadow series fittings, they are gey and black.
I bought the Aeroquip tool, works great on straight fittings counldn't get it to work on any of the "bent" ends.

dhardison
05-14-2007, 06:14 PM
Aeroquip teflon.Does anyone know if I can re-use my existing couplers/reducers with Aeroquip teflon hose (NOT the Russell hose ends)? Basically I want to purchase new teflon hose and new Aeroquip steel hose ends but still use all my other Russell aluminum AN fittings. Will they play together nicely??

CarlC
05-14-2007, 07:47 PM
The hose and hose ends are not interchangeable. The hard fittings, as long as they are 37*, are interchangeable between all brands.

You may want to try and find a teflon -8 fitting and see what the bore size is. You don't want to choke the 502. Plus, run as much hardline as possible. There's nothing better than hardline.

Rule of thumb: It's best to match the hose and the hose end manufacturers.

Neil B
05-14-2007, 09:01 PM
I recently switched from rubber to black Aeroquip socketless from tank to pump, pump to chassis hardline, and hardline to engine bay. I haven't noticed any difference in odor.

Rick Dorion
05-15-2007, 06:31 AM
I use the AQP. Got it from Summit. That tool is only good for straight ends. I use a heat gun to soften the hose and some aeroquip hose lube. My wife won't lend me 'her' oven :)

Skip Fix
05-17-2007, 11:30 AM
You know I've had -8 from my pump to the carb and other than right at the System 1 filter no gas smell,heck most of it is 10 years old even. I'd be looking for another source. Vented tank-into a charcioal cannister? My 81 TA the vent line before I added the cannister was added stunk it up bad, wasn't an issue on the 78. Also the 81 had a fuel perculation problem with the open element air cleaner was alot more evident than even the 78 with an open Shaker scoop.

CamaroAJ
05-27-2007, 08:36 PM
Dan, run over to jegs, they sell Push-Loc hose in yellow, black, red, gray and blue. you have to use push loc type AN fittings though.

dhardison
05-28-2007, 03:55 AM
Dan, run over to jegs, they sell Push-Loc hose in yellow, black, red, gray and blue. you have to use push loc type AN fittings though.Thanks AJ, I considered that as an alternative to braided s/s. Actually last week I ordered 15' of Aeroquip teflon line (teflon inner tube with braided stainless outer) and their steel AN fittings. Surprisingly the telfon/steel fittings were MUCH easier to assemble than the traditional rubber/aluminum fittings. Anyway I have it all installed but haven't leak tested anything yet. I'll post the results.

CarlC
05-28-2007, 12:07 PM
I found the same thing. They are significantly easier to deal with. Buy a six-pack of spare ferules and you can reuse the connectors as needed. They don't look quite as trick as the anodized aluminum versions, but I can live with that.

Too bad they are not available in larger sizes.

dhardison
05-28-2007, 06:20 PM
I found the same thing. They are significantly easier to deal with. Buy a six-pack of spare ferules and you can reuse the connectors as needed. They don't look quite as trick as the anodized aluminum versions, but I can live with that.

Too bad they are not available in larger sizes.Nice tip on the ferules, thanks! I agree they don't look quite as nice, but as long as they work I'm good. I ran some fuel through the new lines today during a short cruise. Everything stayed nice and dry AND no fuel permeation smell, so I'm happy.