PDA

View Full Version : XFI, no crank signal, msd trigger

jjump59
05-13-2007, 07:35 PM
Help! I spent alot of time going over this today and can't figure it out. Turn engine over and it shows no crank signal and dash shows 0.8 volts for battery. I checked everything concerning MSD crank trigger and it appears to be good. The battery voltage thing is messing with me, I checked the pink wire going in, 12 volt switched, and it has 12 volts. Anyone know a good place to find some trouble shooting info, the book is very limited. thanks

camcojb
05-13-2007, 07:55 PM
make sure the switched 12 volts has 12 volts while cranking; not all do. Also, the main positive and negative wires for the harness should be directly to the battery.

Jody

jjump59
05-13-2007, 09:14 PM
checked it while cranking and voltage to the pink wire leveled off at 11 volts also have the cables from the XFI directly to the battery. Voltage drop is because of the cranking, shouldn't be a problem should it?

EFI69Cam
05-14-2007, 08:35 AM
11 volts should be OK.

Do you have access to a scope? If this is a 3 wire sensor its going to produce a 0-12v square-wave output that goes high when it passes the trigger tooth and drops when the tooth passes it.
Is the ECM configured for a hall effect sensor? Also most are supposed to trigger on the falling edge of the wave. You might want to verify those settings.

jjump59
05-14-2007, 05:38 PM
The crank pickup is a two wire deal (MSD). Don't have access to a scope that I know of, if I ask around I could probably find one though.

EFI69Cam
05-14-2007, 05:53 PM
two wire sensors output a sine wave the ecm needs to be configured for an inductive pickup instead of hall effect. Polarity of the sensor is important on these also. XFI should be able to tell you what parameters to set.

jjump59
05-14-2007, 06:11 PM
understand what your saying and am sure it's configured properly but will check later tonight. thanks

SSMOORE
05-14-2007, 09:36 PM
I dont know if this will help but the wire called (12 volt switch he) Thats on the engine side of the harness needs to be hooked up inside the car to a switched source... Seems they just run that wire loose in the harness so if you need it you dont have to run it seperate.

jjump59
05-15-2007, 06:15 PM
the 12 volt HE wire should not be hooked to anything the way i understand it. it's for a hall effect dist which i'm not using. am i right on this? both ends of it are not connected to anything right now and i'm using the FAST ipu harness which they tell me takes care of any ground issues with the unhooked 12 volt HE wire they talk about in the manual. thanks

SSMOORE
05-15-2007, 07:57 PM
Ok I thought you might have used it for a switched source . Sorry and good luck.

jjump59
05-18-2007, 02:44 PM
Just for an update, FAST said I had a bad ECU. They have to return it for repair and I should have it back next week.