PDA

View Full Version : Brake hard=car stalls

brickyard69
05-13-2007, 07:26 AM
I have a 383 that I recently added an electric fuel pump and a new Holley 750 hp series to.

When I stop hard, the car dies.

What should I look for or adjust on the carb to cure this?

formula
05-13-2007, 07:35 AM
sounds like your float bowls are filling up with fuel and dumping into the carb when it lurches so hard forward...not positive, though. I'm still learning on carbs bigtime. What's your fuel pressure at now, with the new pump?

SHANE 73Z
05-13-2007, 11:28 AM
Try lowering the rear float bowl level. I usually run the front float level with the bottom of the hole and the rear about 1/8" lower than the bottom of the hole. This should help fuel from coming out the rear vent tube on hard braking.

The HP should already have a vent baffle installed. My last 4779 had it installed as well.

Shane

Rick Dorion
05-14-2007, 03:51 AM
I also added a spark plug boot facing backwards on the rear vent that helped.

brickyard69
05-14-2007, 04:31 AM
I was having issues with the mechanical pump overheating and vapor locking. It still did it with a phenolic spacer. I also tried three different pumps, and they all did it. I then installed a Holley red electric 6psi and it had been fine.

I will look at the float bowl levels. Thanks guys.

Rick, I was always wondering what that plug boot was for.

MonzaRacer
05-27-2007, 10:26 AM
Another trick is a simple rubber hose with a half moon grind in middle and a small hole to slip over your carb stud and slip it onto both carb vent tubes and let it sit about 1/2 under the top of the air cleaner lid.
We do this on all hard pulling drag carsand never have spill over.