PDA

View Full Version : Chevelle Suspension, Which UCA's

Pro-Tour Heavy Chevy
05-12-2007, 10:46 PM
I've finally got the car back on the road. I have just about all of the suspension sorted out except for the front Upper Control Arms. The entire suspension has been rebuilt and aligned and the car feels solid, but there still seems to be something missing. The car is built for the long haul and I'm looking more for a Canyon Carver than an all out Auto-X car and I doubt it will see any serious track time.
The steering seems a little vague despite the Delphi 600 box, and though the car corners flat it doesn't feel like I could cruise switchback mountain roads in confidence. As for the UCA'S I have the opportunity to pick up some GW G-Plus Arms w-del-alum for about 400. I'm familiar with there build quality, but I have also hear some good things about SC&C arms as well, but how are they for a daily driver with there bolt together construction ,do they require allot of maintenance. I guess the bottom line is, What can I expect from a upper control arm upgrade, Which arms are the best for what I want to do and what alignment specs should I tell the shop to set the car up for. I ask this last question because I just got the car aligned and though we talked about how I wanted the car set up I believe he just used the stock specs.

Goatman
05-13-2007, 03:13 AM
I would go SC&C (and did). I talked to Marcus before I got them and he told me that he has several daily drivers that use his arms and even through the winters, they never give any problems.

I thought the arms would quite honestly be pretty flimsy, but when I got them in, I was surprised at how sturdy they were.

Now, I don't have them in my car yet (its just a shell and frame at this point) but I got a fairly good deal on them buying them from someone who changed directions in their project, along with the spindles, billet steering arms, etc. But I know when I put them on, they'll work well. There's too many members here that have them to think they won't.

As far as alignment time, when it comes, I'll be calling Marcus for his suggestions...

Bandit
05-13-2007, 10:13 AM
SC & C here too...

Pro-Tour Heavy Chevy
05-13-2007, 06:26 PM
I guess I'll have to give Mark a call to get the full low down. The SC and C arms seem to offer the most benefits, but like Goatman said they look a little fragile. As this car proceeds it will be more and more a daily driver and I would like it to have an even more modern feel, I guess.
I see allot of people running the SC and C arms, but how much are they driving there cars, and how? The feedback so far is positive for SC&C.

Bandit
05-13-2007, 07:22 PM
Mine are lying on the floor in my hallway. I have picked them up and examined them many times. I think when you actually see them in person you will agree that they are probably beefy enough to survive being run over by a Mack truck. I would bet they are a lot stronger than the stock pieces. I think the skeletonized construction makes them look small in photos but they are actually pretty heavy and thick.
If I ever get the chance to mount them on my car, they will be put to the test. I will report if they break, but I doubt it considering their track record.

chicane67
05-13-2007, 08:19 PM
Sc&c.......

ponchopwr70
05-14-2007, 04:56 AM
I've had mine on for a couple of weeks and they are holding up fine. I still need an alignment though. I'm very happy with the the stage 2 plus from sc&c. My car feels 10 times better, I just ordered a lee box to finish up my suspension. I have my car rough aligned so I can drive it around also so I could beat my friends 05' gto. :)

Marcus SC&C
05-14-2007, 02:50 PM
The adj. arms hold up really well. No maintenance other than greasing the version with the greasable bushings when you service the rest of the car at oil changes. Once the alignment is done and they`re locked down they will not move,they effectively become one solid unit. One of our test cars has 65,000 real street miles on them (rain,snow,road salt,floods etc.) with the greasable bushings and they`re still not showing any measurable wear at all. Still tight and smooth. The arms also have year and years of race testing (road course and circle track) on them including a lot of crash performance data that typical hot rod parts never get. They`ve been tweaked a lot over the years to get to their current balance between strength,weight,rigidity etc.
We`ve really gotten spoiled by working with them so much. I dread doing performance alignments with shims anymore. Mark SC&C

Pro-Tour Heavy Chevy
05-14-2007, 07:37 PM
This is why I post here and take my advice from the PT crowd. I posted the exact same thing at the TC website and not one reply! Before I registered here I was set on the GW arms, but always thought I'd be settling, so when I started reading about SC & C I thought they sounded to good to be true, so I was a bit skeptic. The only thing is are there bumpstop plates or are they necessary. I guess I'll have to give Mark a Call this week, I believe I may be seeing some Pro-Lites in my future and then its turn and burn.

Pro-Tour Heavy Chevy
05-16-2007, 08:04 PM
Spoke to Mark @ SC and C and I must say I walked away with SOOO much info it was awesome. I just wish I wasn't at work so I could talk more.
I Will Be going with the Stage2-plus pro-lites and I'm drooling just thinking about it. The phone call to Mark was a testament of true enthusiast who delivers top notch customer service and though I haven't seen the arms yet I'm sure the quality is unsurpassed. Any reservations about which arms to go with have been erased. Now where's my credit card.
This site is awesome!