PDA

View Full Version : 67 chevelle chassis plan, tips and resources

nightwrencher
05-10-2007, 09:36 PM
Hi, new to this forum, heard a lot of good about it. I need help coming up with a gameplan for my '67 chevelle. I want to build this car to run and handle like a new(modern) car. I know everyone says that, but I will use it to drive everyday, and want it to be comfortable and perform. doesn't have to handle like a racecar, but don't want all of these new cars having much of an upper hand. I'm not worried about modifying anything, I will probably custom a bunch of things. before I start tearing it apart, I need to have a plan.

thought it can go two ways, either fabbing and installing aftermarket equipment, or trying to adapt newer oem parts like adapting 4th gen camaro fs like brake/spindles/strut-system etc. using factory parts would be nice for availibility. was thinking of boxing or building a frame, tubular control arms with strut or coil-over shocks, rear susp changes, etc need to know where to start. have only done a little suspension mods-on a leaf spring car.

guess there's a lot to learn, but figured you guys can give me some tips and resources where to get some stuff here. can't afford to just call some one up and drop off a complete frame, besides, I'd rather do it myself. need to know where to go to piece together a system or get a kit etc. can you guys get me in the right direction?

Randy67
05-11-2007, 06:15 AM
Try starting here: www.scandc.com They have front & rear suspension kits that will improve your car without alot of work. You can search for "SCandC" and "Stage 2" for more info here.

MrQuick
05-11-2007, 06:45 PM
Good man with a plan. My advice as always " Get a rough plan, budget, set goals and commit,stick to the plan. (Deviation cost money) And at the same time keep it simple."

You already in the right direction now you just need the steps. When I built my 67 Chevelle...(the first time) there wasn't a whole lot of performance parts available. Now you have a lot to choose from.

Brakes, i'd recommend the ATS spindle with a C6 Z51 brake set up, rear LS1 98+ Camaro backing and brake set up.

I would go for a tubular upper just for the caster increase factor.Chevelles feel real nice with 5-6 degrees.
Ok to box the lowers,front and rears.

600 steering box, or if you want to get creative run a Jeep set up.

The guys at SC&C will get you right. Just watch your bushing,spring & shock combo be sure to stess comfort. welcome to the site.

gearheads78
05-12-2007, 07:52 AM
We have very similar goals. On my 66 Olds I will be using the Stage II plus, Eibachs, Bilsteins, Lee box and Currie track set up all recommended by Mark at SC&C. I also just scored a complete low mile C6 brake setup off a guy on one of the Vette boards that was upgrading to Z51 brakes. It won't be the most high dollar or trick set up but it can be done with a modest budget and accomblish my goals.

Keep us updated I have a soft spot for almost any 64-67 A-body .

nightwrencher
05-12-2007, 10:14 PM
looks like some pretty good stuff at that site. I remember seeing some coilover conversion kits with tubular arms somewhere in carcraft/hotrod, one thing that appealed to me with that was that it had lower arms and a weld in bracket for the top for a coil-over with through-bolt mounting on the shocks, also takes guesswork for the shock/spring size. can't remember who made 'em though. guess you can do it with any arms, but I remember relocating the shocks on my 68 firebird to the axle tube w/ frame-crossmember, and I spent hours online trying to find the right shock size and mount and luckily found a size to bolt on. also wanted to use coilovers for the rear (I like the compact package and workability) I know I read about them a number of times. doesn't necessarily have to be a full all-include kit, but would have to make sure placement/geometry is right. guess it would be good to get a chassis/suspension book. actually, I think I have one, but it more race/framebuilding orientated.

how about oem corvette IRS retro-fit. is that a tuff swap? starting to ask too many questions, I better settle down

MrQuick
05-13-2007, 10:02 PM
not a tuff swap just a time consuming one. Maybe give the guys at West Coast Customs a holla, they did a C5 rear swap into a 70 last year.