PDA

View Full Version : What to do: unused connectors

JJSmitches
05-08-2007, 11:09 AM
I have several unused connectors on my engine harness for my 72 Chevelle.

Should I terminate them and tape the wires back into the harness or leave the connections and some how try and hide them?

Other suggestions welcome.

zbugger
05-08-2007, 12:23 PM
That all depends on what you're really doing with the car. If I'm just removing parts and not using them anymore, I'll wind up treminating them and hiding them. More often than not, I leave the connector and just hide the unused wiring. That's just if I'm being lazy and I don't want to deal with it, though.

The way I PREFER doing it is pulling the entire line from the harness and re-looming it. I pull the wire from the junction block at the firewall and get the entire wire out of there. You also have to remember to seal the spot where the wire went into the block. It's not necessary, some say, but it keeps the corrosion out.

JJSmitches
05-08-2007, 12:51 PM
Forgive me for being unsure of the electrical stuff here...

I can remove the entire wire from the engine harness at the bulkhead and reseal that spot??? What should I use to seal the opening?

It will cost me some time, but in the end I think it would make for a much cleaner look.

zbugger
05-08-2007, 04:05 PM
You can. I'd say some silicone sealer would be fine, but AAW sells something that would be better. Call them and Ask Theresa what would be best. And yes, it is worth the work. At least to me it is. You have to unbolt the bulkhead from the engine compartment side to do it, and use a pick set to pull the connector out. Apply some sealer there and bolt the bulkhead back up. Just make sure you disconnect the battery before you do anything if you do decide to do this kind of thing.

John McIntire
05-08-2007, 05:36 PM
i agree with zbugger. It will make for a much cleaner set up, thinner harness, and less complication.

JJSmitches
05-08-2007, 07:21 PM
I am going to go ahead and remove the wires from the harness. Is there any chance that by removing the wires other "stuff" will no longer work?

The wires that are not needed are almost all related to the "TSC" system. The other wires that I do not need are for the heater blower motor and the idle stop solenoid.

I havent decided yet, but I may also do away with the oil pressure idiot light since I have an oil pressure gauge.