PDA

View Full Version : Milling aluminum??

BADVELLE
05-07-2007, 05:40 AM
I went out and bought a router bit (said it would take on aluminum) to mill the backside of a license plate cover I am making. It did work, but left the edges very rough, BTW, I am using my drill press for this operation. I was wondering, maybe I should have turned up the RPM or possibly just went out and got a bit for a Bridgeport or equivalent. Any thoughts on what to use the next time???

Tom Vogel
05-07-2007, 06:51 AM
You would want to use a router for that (limited usage as well) Your drill press isnt made for milling, it will chatter and jump.(wont be smooth)

BADVELLE
05-07-2007, 07:00 AM
You would want to use a router for that (limited usage as well) Your drill press isnt made for milling, it will chatter and jump.(wont be smooth)

That is what happened, thanks. I will use a router next time.

parsonsj
05-07-2007, 07:03 AM
I've used a router and router bit on aluminum before too. It works in a limited way. Your drill press is definitely not up to the job.

If you use a mill with a router bit, turn up the speed and keep the feed rate slow.

jp

WS6
06-11-2007, 06:38 PM
WD40 the heck out of the bit while you work too. Aluminum gets gummy when it's being milled. The WD40 will cause the metal to sling off the bit while it turns. Use this pretty much whever working with aluminum. Drilling, sawing, milling. No need on a lathe. Do not use WD40 when messing with anything other than aluminum. It will not work with steel.

Karch
06-11-2007, 10:20 PM
WD40 the heck out of the bit while you work too. Aluminum gets gummy when it's being milled. The WD40 will cause the metal to sling off the bit while it turns. Use this pretty much whever working with aluminum. Drilling, sawing, milling. No need on a lathe. Do not use WD40 when messing with anything other than aluminum. It will not work with steel.

I worked at an aerospace machine shop for a few years, and I agree.
Tap Magic is also a great product, but WD40 gets the job done for less coin.

astroracer
06-12-2007, 02:14 AM
I used a speed controller on my router when I made the step plates for my truck. Did a few test cuts to dial in the rpms and it worked very well.
I am surprised your drill press didn't drop out the chuck due to vibration. A mill uses a collet that is held in with a long bolt through the spindle. Most drill presses rely only on the taper and pressure from drilling to keep the chuck in the collet. I think you dodged a bullet with this one...
Mark

BADVELLE
06-12-2007, 12:15 PM
Thanks for the heads up Mark, you are right I did dodge a bullet.

Modo Innovations
06-13-2007, 07:47 PM
Another home remedy for lubrication while machining, sawing or drilling aluminum is to use a bar of hand soap. Ivory works well, I have a bar out in the shop for a stand by.

WD 40 works very well and is an easy clean up. The Tap Magic, for me anyway, stinks and if you get it on you, you will smell it all day long.

astroracer
06-14-2007, 02:09 AM
There are two formulations for Tap Magic. One is for ferrous and the other is for non-ferrous. If you are trying to use the ferrous formula on aluminum it will just gum up. When used correctly both formulas work very well.
Mark

BADVELLE
06-14-2007, 05:55 AM
Another home remedy for lubrication while machining, sawing or drilling aluminum is to use a bar of hand soap. Ivory works well, I have a bar out in the shop for a stand by.

WD 40 works very well and is an easy clean up. The Tap Magic, for me anyway, stinks and if you get it on you, you will smell it all day long.

I have always used bees wax on tools like my files when working on aluminum.

parsonsj
06-14-2007, 06:02 AM
After watching Brian Schein machine aluminum on his Bridgeport without lubricant, I rarely use it any more either for aluminum. It sure makes cleanup a lot easier.

Of course steel and stainless steel need lube ... but I don't use it much on aluminum anymore.

jp

astroracer
06-14-2007, 06:17 AM
John is right. Aluminum really doesn't need any lube if your tooling and set-up is correct. Getting the feed rate and tool rpms correct will prevent the galling and build-up some of you are seeing. I have been machining model car parts out of aluminum for 15 years and never use a lube.
Mark

Jim Nilsen
06-26-2007, 09:52 AM
Aluminum can be machined with woodworking tools with the right tooling. You can saw it on a table saw with a 60 tooth blade or more, 120 toth blades are really sweet if you have a 12" saw. You need carbide tipped tools absolutley !!!
Routering aluminum works real well if you can keep the chips moving, blowing air onto the tool really helps. I have always found that it works real well when milling too! Routers with a vacuum attachment do well with the right vacuum.

Speed and feed is the whole key to it along with sharp tools. When your tools get dull change them,dull tools become unsafe.

Most of all wear a face shield and an apron when sawing aluminum on a table saw so you don't get chips stuck in you. I prefer a wooden apron the most and a welders upper outfit for my arms.

Never stand in front of the blade!!!!!!!!

Those aluminum chips are hot when they hit you!

Be safe and have fun!

BMF Machine
06-26-2007, 04:23 PM
I've used a router and router bit on aluminum before too. It works in a limited way. Your drill press is definitely not up to the job.

If you use a mill with a router bit, turn up the speed and keep the feed rate slow.

jp

I have used a router for chamfering edges of huge alum. plates at my day job? After a lot of filing and sanding, I was able to ship the part without puking?

A file will clean up the mess ya got now, and a lot of time and a file you could do all the edges nicely? Alum. cuts like butter with a good Nicholson hand file. Then orbital sander, then 3M buffing compound. It will gleam again!

Now, I just go out to my shed and use my HAAS VMC; or well not in two years anyway, but it is there if I need it, production sucks? but it does pay the bills.:squint: