PDA

View Full Version : Trying to identify a 68 Camaro - Please Help!!!

ad53030
05-06-2007, 09:17 PM
I need help! Bought a 68 Camaro basketcase (no motor/trans, rolling chassis disassembled front end, no hood - $1700.
01C 0623
ST 68-12437 LOS 26416 BODY
TR 712 0-2 Paint

Vin # 124378N

It seems there is no way my title matches my Cowl tag and therefore car (title Norwood - cowl Van Nuys). Wondering if there's any way I an missing something here (hopefully but I think I know the answer). Aside from the tag/title situation, I am wondering if there is anyway I can varify options on the car. First, I believe it to be an RS. Came with full RS grill headlamp buckets, light doors, grill, etc. Tail lights are solid red (no clear for backup lights) and backup light mounts in rear lower valence. Also front valence has parking light mounts. Also has “RS” style trim on lower part of body. Does this mean its a real RS? Any other means of verification?
Next, SS? It came with SS badges as well. Has 12 bolt rear end (not checked date code yet), multileaf springs, front disc brakes. I dont know how the SS options were in 68. I think I read on ur site that the 67SS was only a 350. Car has radiator with "Harrison" and a tag reading: 24/75 K. Dont have a clue if it means anything but I'm thinking that maybe if its original it could be identified as a big or small block and possibly support or rule out an SS option. I understand there is no verification of such option packages without a build sheet, P-O-P, or sales invoice - of course all long gone. Hoping I guess there is some good in this mess I have gotten myself into. At least it was cheap, actually has minimal rust, and has a 12 bolt. Many, many thanks in advance. Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

vintageracer
05-07-2007, 04:32 AM
Title will NOT match the cowl tag. The title WILL/MUST match the VIN tag that is on the top of the left side of the dash, the hidden stamped VIN on the top of the cowl and the hidden VIN stamped below the blower motor hole on the right side of the cowl.

With a 68 there is no real way to tell what the car was originally. Based upon what you described about the RS stuff there is a good chance it is an RS. Remove the rear BU lights in the rear lower valence and inspect. While not impossible to recreate the proper holes within the inner and outer tailight panel, it's not work for the amateur.

Are the front disc brakes the 4 piston Corvette style calipers or the 69 up single piston calipers? The date and code on the 12 bolt will tell that tale as to whether it was possible for that particular 12 bolt to have come factory installed in this particular car. SS cars did have multi-leaf rear springs.

Go to the Camaro Research Group on the web and Camaros.net for more support and information.

ad53030
05-07-2007, 06:35 AM
Brakes are single piston calipers. What would this indicate? Backup light openings definitely don't look homemade. I will check the date code on the rear end and look for a stamp on the firewall. Did SS cars only get multi-leafs? Would standard cars get a 12 bolt (assuming the dat code is matching)?

Thanks

vintageracer
05-07-2007, 11:18 AM
Single piston brakes would have been added to this car after production. Single piston front disc brake use started in 1969 on Camaro.

The stamp on the firewall will be at the top of the firewall looking thru the vent grill on the passenger side near the right hand windshield wiper. Very obvious with the cowl grill removed.

The other hidden VIN is behind the heater box under the blower fan opening. You must have the outside heater box removed. This also is visbile from the front of the firewall, not inside the car.

Standard cars did not get 12 bolts. Others besides SS got multileaf springs such a Z28 etc. Multi-leaf's could also be had on a 10 bolt rear car.

ad53030
05-07-2007, 04:58 PM
So the only discs from the factory would have been the 4 piston type? Could you get an SS with drum brakes?

redhead
05-08-2007, 08:45 AM
yeah, don't get too hung up on the type of brakes.
the ss or rs could be either drum or disc.
the tag will only reveal if the car came with a v8 or not.
did your steering wheel get badged?

sounds like a good find - basket case or not.
da.

ad53030
05-08-2007, 11:42 PM
No steering wheel badging. I would think its not an SS especially since its looking like the discs were added. Havent had a chance to check date code on 12 bolt yet. Could a non SS have a factory 12bolt rear? Its weird - I have a lot of parts that came with the car that really make me scratch my head... Looks like all SS badges but no SS steering wheel badge, no SS gas cap - but the gas tank & fuel neck are missing. Has the Chrome 3 spoke steering wheel inlay (SS?) but I'd say definitely doesnt go with the wheel on the car now. At least I think its a reall RS. Having a 12 bolt w/ it is good for me - factory or added. I'm just not sure if I should dress it in RS/SS trim or just RS. Guess it'd be hard to disprove other than the brakes. Not out to fool anyone though, just to have a cool car. I have a 69 that was a 6cyl 3 sp (column) thats very modded - I was just thinking since the 68 was an RS and maybe SS I'd keep it more original. Thanks for the help. Get back to ya on the rear end date code.

gmachinz
05-14-2007, 08:01 PM
The SS option included an upgrade to disc brakes IIRC, and standard SB (6 cyl., 327) cars got mono leafs, BB SS's got 5-leafs and Z28's and SB SS's got four leafs out back.

ad53030
05-18-2007, 03:13 PM
Verified that the stamped code on the cowl does match the title. So does an "N" in the VIN not identify a car as a Norwood car? My cowl tag is LOS - as i understand it Van Nuys. Why wouldn't it match. About 90% sure the cowl tag is original.
Car has four leaf springs with the rear end - small block? Didn't see a date code on the rear end to try and verify the date but not sure where it would be stamped. Know where the rear end stamp would or should be? If the date code matches a 68 would it be safe to assume it's a real SS?
If the SS option upgraded the brakes to discs - would it have been the 4 piston caliper type only? Have been told in this thread that an SS in 68 could have even had drums - car has single piston caliper discs on it now. What do you think?

Thanks for all help.