PDA

View Full Version : Hey CarlC and others with a need for speed!!!!!

mpozzi
05-06-2007, 06:47 PM
Buttonwillow on June 2-3rd with Speed Ventures. Anyone up for it sign up with www.speedventures.com (http://www.speedventures.com) and the event should be fun.

Dave and I are in . . .

Cheers,
Mary Pozzi

Steven
05-07-2007, 07:48 AM
Ah man!!! We'll be out in the newly obtained motorhome that week. Might be back in time to make sunday if I pre-prep. After driving the M/H around and towing a jeep, I'll have a need for speed.

CarlC
05-09-2007, 11:22 AM
I have got to get my car back together!

Steve1968LS2
05-09-2007, 12:22 PM
I have got to get my car back together!

Wanna trade? lol

Dammit, it's missing these events that's gonna kill me.

6'9"Witha69
05-09-2007, 01:34 PM
I have a need for speed, but no cashola right now (houses are f'in expensive!!). What does it take to get in as a spectator? I may bring the Camaro for fun, but not to compete.

mpozzi
05-11-2007, 07:18 PM
Nick and Steve,

Come on out and we'll provide the rides. Shouldn't be a fee to watch but I think there's a gate fee to get in to the track ($5/per person) each day.

As for you, Carl . . . you've got a couple of weeks so get moving on that car.

Cheers,
Mary Pozzi

Orngcrush69
05-24-2007, 07:48 PM
The Chevelle will be there, and ya I'll give rides...but no Pukers!!!

Orngcrush69
05-31-2007, 07:59 PM
Pozzi's,
Plans have changed a little, we're not come in till Sat. morning, and NO 5th Wheel!!! So I'm pup tenting it on Sat night. I'll call ya tomorrow morning, if we don't talk park by garage #4 like you guys always do and I'll see ya then!!!

Damn True
05-31-2007, 08:08 PM
I thought about it. I think I'll go to the Wine Country Classic on sunday instead.

David Pozzi
06-03-2007, 08:03 AM
Hi guys!
I'm at the track and managed to get on-line.
We had a good day yesterday, met AJ with a neat 70 Camaro who drove Sat. Mary is prepping for todays run clockwise on the track, yesterday was CCW.

Dan, Dave, and Mary ran in the same group and had a ball Sat. Mary managed to pass them both at one time or another. She's getting a rep as the "Intimidator" ! Dan broke his trans at the end of his last run group. That new 383 really works well in his first gen camaro and he was passing cars like mad on the track, lots of fun to watch.

Katz just showed up for Sunday's event, and he's in Mary's group, so nice to see him.

We had a nice BBQ last night and Oscar Jackson and some friends came by for a bite break then back to work on a car that was having problems.

We saw a nice late model Mustang slam the tire wall and we helped him get it on a flat bed and headed back home. Not too much damage, mainly to the door skin, and a broken tie rod end.

Wish all you were here with us to play... Especially CarlC.
David

Q ship
06-03-2007, 04:39 PM
Here's a link to 74 pages of pictures, hopefully later there will be pics of todays run.

http://www.trackhq.com/forums/photopost562/showgallery.php/cat/535/page/17

One of these days I'll get over to meet you and Mary, David. Do you guys ever make the trek to Willow Springs? Katz and I are going June30th/July 1st.

Nice to see the Pro-Touring contingent represented!

Orngcrush69
06-03-2007, 04:54 PM
Q-ship,
Those are great pix!!! Thank you!!! Just got home and thought I'd check to see if the Pozzi's had posted. Where did those pix come from?

Q ship
06-03-2007, 05:32 PM
Hi Dave, glad you enjoyed them! They came from www.trackhq.com (http://www.trackhq.com) . You guys that run on the west coast should check it out, the US west coast regional forum seems to be pretty active.

Dave, your car still looks incredible. I first saw you at BW in April '05, and was impressed the you had such a clean car at the track. You, Carl C and the Pozzi's are proof that the track doesn't mean disaster for a Pro-touring car.

Brian D

CarlC
06-03-2007, 08:45 PM
I'm bummed that I could not make it, but glad you guys and gals did.

The car's coming back, and it should be a lot more fun when done.

David Pozzi
06-03-2007, 11:47 PM
I was suprised when Craig Boone walked up and shook my hand! He read my post to this thread and drove up in his Camaro! :)

I didn't get a chance to see his new engine because Mary was running. :(
Craig will be running there in two weeks. I got a ride with Katz and he's really driving well. He has a great handling used BMW that was not expensive to buy or run.

Sat night was a hoot! After feasting on all the food and hearing some stories, we viewed the video of Mary's in car camera, and listened to Dan explain how frightening it is to see that red Camaro looming in his mirrors! :)
David

Salt Racer
06-04-2007, 06:39 AM
It was nice seeing you guys again.

I really enjoyed #13 CW. Much better than CCW. Going flat through Riverside in 4th gear and sliding into Lost Hill at 70-ish mph was a hoot. Now David P. knows why I started driving a BMW.

One of SV official guys, Erik, drove my car and got it to run 2:15.xx!! Amazing what a good driver can do with so little (134hp 1.8L). Erik has run 2:13 there in a stock Miata.

My time was pathetic compared to his. The best I could do was 2:18.2 during the last session after all you guys left (read: too hot to get good lap time). I did 2:19.xx with a passenger, which would have been 2:17.xx theoretically.

I did 2:18.xx during the second session and it felt like there was another 1.5 sec. Unfortunately I got stuck behind that yellow 997 GT3. Now I officially hate Porsche drivers - except for serious club racers, all of them I know have more ego than driving skills, and they all have seriously bad track manners. It's a shame.

But overall, it was a great day. It was also good to know I'm only 2~3 sec. behind a super-good driver on a relatively long track.

I'll see you guys again at the track!

David Pozzi
06-04-2007, 10:26 AM
Katz,
Sorry I didn't find you to say goodby when we left for home.

I hope you rode with Erik and learned some tricks. Carrying speed and getting the best exit speed onto the straights is how to get a fast lap time. Riding with others is a great way to learn, IF they are good drivers! :)

I'll post some pics when I get them on the computer.
David

Salt Racer
06-04-2007, 11:20 AM
That's OK Dave, I'll see you again sometime. Maybe we can go to that Italian restaurant by your house again. Dinner will be on me this time.

I asked Erik to take me out for a spin. It was very interesting. I think I was losing a lot of time at Off-ramp (or on-ramp?) and Button hook. His line entering Off-ramp was just like what you suggested. I actually tried that line in the morning, but ABS went berserk, felt like I couldn't stop and I chickened out. The same ABS thing was happening to Erik, but he just dealt with it.

He was going through Cotton corners much faster than I did. I was trail braking heavily into the first kink, trying to apex really late so I can go straight over the hill. Erik turned into the first kink much sooner, placing inside wheels on the inside edge of curbing and did the same for the other two kinks as if you were to straighten the whole Cotton corner section. He got a little sideways coming down the hill everytime, but not too bad.

I'm beginning to think that maybe I'm driving a bit too smooth, that I could go a bit more aggressive on certain slow-speed sections.

The rest of the course, my line was identical to his line. It was a humbling experience. I need to do Buttonwillow more (this was my 3rd time, 1st time CW).

parsonsj
06-04-2007, 11:48 AM
Congrats on the fun day everyone. So when are you guys coming to Road Atlanta or Sebring?

jp

Salt Racer
06-04-2007, 12:00 PM
And when are you coming to Willow Springs? LOL.

SV will be running Spring Mountain (60 miles north of Vegas) around the time for SEMA. Any chance you can take a little longer vacation and stick around? I'd be happy to take you out for a ride if you can't have your car there. It's an excellent track.

parsonsj
06-04-2007, 12:11 PM
Katz,

Hold that thought. That may work ...

I'm trying to find a booth that wants my car for SEMA, but I think I'll be there either way.

jp

Salt Racer
06-04-2007, 12:48 PM
Excellent. Bring your helmet.

parsonsj
06-04-2007, 12:57 PM
My helmet is like American Express. I don't leave home without it. :)

See you then.

jp

David Pozzi
06-05-2007, 11:21 PM
Here's Mary's favorite clip of Speed Ventures on Saturday.
She's chasing Dave in the Chevelle, then his brother Dan in the Camaro.

http://s117.photobucket.com/albums/o71/davidpozzi/Open%20Track/?action=view&current=MaryatButtonWillow2.flv

MrQuick
06-05-2007, 11:30 PM
man i miss that. I prefer CW... Thank you.

Nice pass Mary, I guess he was watching his mirrors? I couldn't tell in the mirror if he went duke boys or not.
I didn't see Daves Chevelle at all.

David Pozzi
06-05-2007, 11:45 PM
I'm reloaded it and fixed the link, there was a glitch in the upload the first time. She passed them both! :) I think they were watching the mirrors and messed up. Dave had the auto trans downshift too low and got wheel spin, Dan braked too late and had understeer. They actually made no other mistakes the whole weekend. Mary had better tires than they did, -quite an advantage. We had a ball viewing the in-car-camera footage on Saturday night!

She ran CW the next day, on Sunday.
David

OK, it's playing correctly now.

Salt Racer
06-06-2007, 09:43 AM
...Dave had the auto trans downshift too low and got wheel spin...

Been there done that, in my Buick going into Sunset. I can't believe that was over 2 years ago.

It looked like Dan was pulling away in the front straight. His car's a little lighter than Mary's, maybe?

I too prefer CW. The track have very nice flow from the exit of Cotton corners to Lost Hill in CW.

Steve N 69 69 69
06-06-2007, 02:26 PM
Awesome video, I gotta go next time around. Maybe to some of the willow springs events.

David Pozzi
06-06-2007, 09:20 PM
Steve, Craig Boone will be there in two weeks. :)

Katz,
Dave has a big block so lots of torque, the car probably isn't lighter than Mary's Camaro. He's going to build a first gen Camaro like his brothers. With his present experience level, I expect him to be pretty fast with it.
David

Salt Racer
06-07-2007, 07:15 AM
I meant Dan's Camaro. I thought you said he has the same crate motor as Mary's, but he seemed to pull away a little.

Makes me wanna get a supercharger for my car :)

Orngcrush69
06-08-2007, 07:59 PM
The weekend was a total blast!!!
MrQuick, I did go Duke Boys...again. out in the dirt again...that's #2. I thought I could save it. Mary "The Red Barron" as I'm calling her now, is smoother and faster than ever! You see that Camaro in your mirror and you wanna push your car!!! Can't wait to do it again! We're thinking the SV last weekend in Sept. so everyone write it down. D. Pozzi you need to get out there with us! I know it's a lil' slower than the Lola, but it would be great to run with ya. ;-)
Dave can you send me the DVD again please?

Katz, good to see you again! I miss the Riv, but I hope you had a good time in the Bimmer!!

mpozzi
06-08-2007, 09:01 PM
We had the most fun group ever last weekend and the Saturday night BBQ was a feast to behold. I never laughed so hard watching the videos and pic slide show. And if you ever show that picture of me sleeping in the chair, you're DEAD MEAT!!!

Yes, we'll definitely play tag again this fall. We've got to get a car for Dave P. so he can have fun with us. Knowing how he drives, good luck catching him.

Maybe if he drove a Prius . . .

Cheers,
Mary Pozzi

Salt Racer
06-09-2007, 08:35 AM
Chevelle Dave,
Was good seeing you again. I checked the Saturday's results (they are already up on SV website). You weren't too far behind Mary. That's impressive considering you have street tires. You're getting pretty good!

I'd like to take my Riv out again before I sell it. Not sure when, but that would definetely happen. My little Bimmer is so fun to drive. You can go into some corners with four wheels literally sliding sideways. I'll take you guys out for a ride next time.

Do you know what Fresno Dave (Davez28 or something here) has been doing lately? Just wondering since he wasn't there the last weekend.

I agree Dave P. needs his own car out there. T70 would be cool, or he can just buy an E30 BMW for $2k like I did, since he's taking his time finishing his Camaro. Just messing with you, Dave ;-)

Found the website of the photographer that was at the event. Some nice pics, but they want a lot of money.

http://www.caliphotography.com/photography/06-02-Buttonwillow-SpeedVentures/index.html

http://www.caliphotography.com/photography/06-03-Buttonwillow-SpeedVentures/index.html

EDIT Note to JP:
For some reason I thought SEMA is going to take place in the week of Nov 4th~10th, and I was wrong. SV's Pahrump event is on Nov. 17th/18th, so it may not be feasible. I'll look for events run by other groups.

Davezz28
06-10-2007, 01:37 PM
Hello Katz

I couldn't make it out there is time as I was putting the finial touches on a 73 RS Camaro that I have up for sale. Looks like it would have been a good time.

Did you ever get the motor back together in the Riv?

Dave

Orngcrush69
06-10-2007, 04:59 PM
Confession...the fast time that I have is actually my brother Dan's time. I put the transponder on his car on the last session before his tranny blew. The Chevelle still did good, in the morning I think I busted a 2:19.

mpozzi
06-10-2007, 05:57 PM
I thought that time was when you drove past S/F, left the pit lane, drove around the paddock, and then re-entered pit lane and crossed S/F again . . . J/K!!!

Good driving by you guys and so much fun out there. We've got to get the camera set up in your cars for some sessions.

Buttonwillow in the fall??

Cheers,
Mary Pozzi

Orngcrush69
06-11-2007, 08:35 PM
Mary...Shhhhh!!! That was my best time!!! That was too funny when that dude looked at the times and screamed "1:14:43 !!!"

Ya it's on for Sept! Dr. Dave (Davezz28) is picking up Dan's '68 this week and it's going for an overhaul here in the valley! Dave P. We'll be getting in touch with you soon about our set up ideas.

Anyone out there getting deals on Kumho tires?

Salt Racer
06-11-2007, 10:31 PM
Fresno Dave, or Clovis Dave, or Dr. Dave (take your pick),
I did get the Buick back. It sorta runs. The mechanic in Kerman turned out to be a fraud. I trusted him - he could talk well and my other long-time friends trusted him.

I'll go through the engine sometime. It could just be out of tune and internals may be OK. Don't know yet at this point. I'll probably fix it up, repaint it and sell it. Unless I hit a lottery jackpot, I can't have a few grands sitting in a yard doing nothing.

...when that dude looked at the times and screamed "1:14:43 !!!"

Now you're "The fastest man around the pit" with AMB timing to back it up!! - j/k.

Have you considered Nitto NT01s? Discount tire direct has a great deal - no sales tax, free shipping, and you'll get them in a couple of days from their AZ warehouse. Lots of SV regulars swear by this tire.