PDA

View Full Version : Steering Column Splines Flattened

toofun
05-06-2007, 03:12 PM
OK,

Not very familiar with the steering column parts but I have included a picture of a problem I am having with mine. I am fixing a horn problem and removed the hub that the steering wheel bolts onto. I had to use a puller to remove it from the splined shaft and when I did I noticed that the splined shaft was almost flattened!! It must have been this way before I got the car and the previous owner must have PRESSED IT ON. Anyways, from what I can tell this does not look like a safe solution to this problem since I am guessing this splined shaft is what keeps the steering wheel from spinning around in a stripped circle. So can this part be replaced? or can this shaft be resplinned? How can this be done? Any help would be appreciated as I am not familiar with this procedure.
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif (http://imageshack.us)
Thanks in advance

Mark
TOOFUN

HILROD
05-06-2007, 07:28 PM
I've never seen one look that stripped, I hope it looks better in person. If it is that bad try a different stock wheel, tighten it tight and remove it see if the splines straighten out any. I had a wheel come loose, the nut backed off and caused around 6 inches of free play 'til it caught. That was the last time I ever want that to happen to me. I check all my new cars to make sure they are tight. If the splines are that stripped I'd replace the shaft. Saftey of yourself and others comes first.

toofun
05-06-2007, 08:06 PM
Thanks for the reply. I think my only safe option is to replace the shaft but problem is I dont know where to get one. Does anybody know of a place that sells them?

Thanks
Mark
TOOFUN

David Pozzi
05-06-2007, 10:22 PM
Yes, replace that shaft and don't put the steering wheel back on the new shaft unless it's not damaged.
Camaro Firebird, up through 69 and Nova and it's cousins through 74 use the same firewall and subframe, so the column may be the same too.
David

toofun
05-07-2007, 08:06 PM
Hey David..
Will a 72 column shift CHEVELLE upper shaft work?

Thanks
Mark
TOOFUN