PDA

View Full Version : omg... the worst repop part ive ever seen

marty69212
05-05-2007, 05:04 PM
well guys , i was just wondering if any of you had run into this !!! i am so mad right now.i just bought a set of repop rockers for my 69 camaro coupe because i had rust on the top rear of my driver side rocker where the quarter window drains must have gotten clogged and filled with water!well i bought a new set from OER figuring that would be better than NPD , boy was i wrong.. im stickin with NPD .. just cut my original one off, and went to test fit the new one. not even close .. ive had to bend , cut , weld on this one so many times, i should have just made my own out of sheet metal.. heck, i think the body lines would be nicer !!!im at a lose, with what to do.. if i do install this one , its not going to match the other side.. im sure as he$$ no going to put one of these p.o.s.'s on the other side, ill repair my original !!has anyone run into this , does anyone make a better repop ? please help guys... im so pi$$ed!!!

Gordz32
05-05-2007, 08:46 PM
That sucks, Its kinda said that they actually sell that kinda stuff. Chances are though that its not just OER fault. Most of the time all the parts warehouse carry the same stuff. I had a conversation the other day with my boss and he explained that the companys pay alot of $$ to have the stamps made, in return it takes alot of sales to recover the cost. So instead of investing more money into making a new stamp to perfect the flaws, the just sell them an move on. I don't think its right and I'm sure all will agree with me, but the companys don't care, there in it for the cash. Call Goodmark and see if they have something, I'm sure they will, if you'd like to get a different one or for the other side of the car. Good luck

shep
05-05-2007, 09:04 PM
My buddy just completely re-skined the rear of a 69 using OER parts not a single panel fit right the body lines didn't line up the gaps were terrible. He made it all fit and look good but was not impressed with the quality.

marty69212
05-06-2007, 06:06 AM
i got all my other parts from npd and i was really impressed with the quarter fitment. but when i got these rockers i was so mad. i hear everyone complain about quarters and i didnt even think about my rockers being this bad, so i just jumped in and starter cutting. now i wish i had repaired my originals. i cant see anyway to make these even resemble the originals.. the originals have 3 flat sides and very pronounced body lines. these new ones are almost round ... i dont know what to do !!

brink_79camaro
05-06-2007, 03:58 PM
I had the same thing happen to me with my rockers on my '79. The drivers side was the BIGGEST nightmare and the passenger went smoother than butter. The drivers side rocker was from Paddock Parts (everything I have ever bought from there didnt fit right...not impressed) and the passenger rocker was from NPD and it fit really well. My quarter panels were an even bigger nightmare and they were also from Paddock Parts.

aussiebj
05-06-2007, 04:12 PM
All my repair pieces are goodmark and i am happy with the fit so far and i have a lot of metal im replacing for Project Swiss Cheese......

marty69212
05-07-2007, 11:21 AM
check this out guys .. OER said i could return the rockers , but i would have to pay shipping again, which was 90 dollars.. so i would have 2 shipping charges totaling 180 bucks.... i got so ripped off!!!! forget OER !!! OH AND A 25 % restocking fee.!!!!! wow ... so i would end up paying more to return the parts than i originally paid for these p.o.s.!!!!!

Ricoch3T
05-07-2007, 11:49 AM
I stuck with goodmark also, fit is pretty close for my 69

4MuscleMachines
05-07-2007, 02:04 PM
From now on I would only buy from a company with no restocking fees and a generous return shipping policy. Most of these parts are rip-offs, is it asking for too much?

merriman44
05-07-2007, 04:09 PM
I've used both good mark and dynacorn on my basket case. So far firewall, inner and outer rockers and a floor pan have gone in with few problems at all. I agree OER barely makes an attempt to stand behind their products sheetmetal or anything else for that matter.

marty69212
05-07-2007, 04:20 PM
do the rockers u guys r using have really bad stamped body lines? and do they have a really big notch cut out at the back where the back of the quarter welds to it? my factory ones didnt have this huge noch, they did have what appears to be a little brazing right there, but not that much!!!

marty69212
05-08-2007, 07:25 AM
does anyone have any close up pics of their new rockers for a 1969 camaro? i really want to get this thing back together, but still dont know if i should use what i have or keep lookin for a different manufacturer.. i would like to run up to npd and look at theirs before i buy, but our baby is due anytime , and i dont want to be 2 hours away when she goes into labor !!!

Steve1968LS2
05-08-2007, 07:28 AM
Have you tried Goodmark?

Their 2nd gen FULL quarters were works of art since they fit so good. Their first gen ones were very good as well.

Just don't get thier 2nd gen 80% quarters.. spring the extra for the fulls.

Anyways, do they make that part?

marty69212
05-08-2007, 10:17 AM
well, ive talked to about 20 different sheetmetal distibutors and was told the same thing by most!! there are only a hand full of manufaturers of sheetmetal repop parts.. rocker panels, only 2!!! tiawan and usa made.. it doesnt matter where u get them from , even goodmark, they are tiawan unless u see made in usa on the add !!!! i just ordered 2 new ones from Ricks first gen, by the way, the nicest, most helpful people ive talked to !!! these are supposed to be us made and they should be here tomarrow!!! i plan on borrowing a camera from my brother and taking detailed pics , comparing the 2 manifacturers when i get the new ones, so everone can see for theirselves!!!im keeping my fingers crossed!!!! ill keep ya posted!!!

Jim Nilsen
05-10-2007, 10:18 AM
The best rockers I have seen come from C.A.R.S. Inc. in Michigan. If they still make them the same as they did in the 80's. They are as close to original as you will get.:rolleyes:

TPC
05-10-2007, 06:19 PM
Just finished a 71 Challenger using "Sherman" Quarter patches. These thing are a rough suggestion of what the panel should look like. I ended up using pieces of the patches. As for your rocker I had the same problem on a 70 Superbee. not even one of the contours or lines or flange was correct I ended up flattening that puppy out and bending it my way ."sherman" panels again. they are junk.

Morgan
05-11-2007, 06:01 AM
I had to replace 95% of the body on my car (hazard of being from New England). Goodmark was significantly better than OER. I found almost everything I got from OER was terrible and didn't even come close to fitting. The repro windshield mouldings were not even close, the rubber was so hard it would not compress, had to cut the headlight bezels, the list goes on and on. From personal experience I would stay away from OER.

marty69212
05-12-2007, 03:46 PM
hope u can see the difference, the usa went right in !!! and body lines r a whole lot better!!!

marty69212
05-12-2007, 03:48 PM
the edp coated is the tiawan and the plain is the usa

Satatic
05-12-2007, 04:34 PM
I got the usa made ones from ricks for my 68 camaro and they are pretty nice. They have that notch also. I been working on my passenger side one and got it to fit pretty well. One thing I had to do was stand on the bottom part and pull really hard ont eh top part to stretch it out. Other then that they fit very well. I just cut a piece of metal for that notch and welded it in. All I did was two sides and stopped where the rest of the rocker went verticle. Not sure if I need to go more or not.

marty69212
05-16-2007, 02:59 PM
more pics

gt1guy
05-18-2007, 08:57 PM
I think almost all repro panels are stamped by the same company overseas. Quality control is........well......there isn't any. I replaced both rockers on my '72. One fit like a glove, the other I had to work every flange and take some of the shape out of it. It had been over bent. The tail panel had 1" gaps where it met the quarters. That took three days to get the gaps out, and I still have to move the studs for the taill light buckets that were put in the wrong place. The full quarter panels, floorpans, and trunk floor all fit great.
Your better off thinking of replacement panels as a work in progress when you get them.

Kevin